Final Cuts?

I think any corps that would make cuts mid-season for reasons other than performance would be fine. i.e. drug abuse, things of that nature. I think if a corps cut a member once summer started, well, once camps are done, well that's another story. I don't believe that a kid who is in a corps and marches most of the summer, then 2 weeks before the end of the season is cut becasue they are not "hacking it" or whatever, should get cut. At that point, that's bad teaching. I don't care what corps, what show, how difficult, how much rehearsal time. If a kid makes it through even a day of tour and gets cut, well, then hire a new staff because I guarantee that kid is not the only one holding the corps back. They may be the one sticking out that time, but there are others, and they're hiding. So hire a new staff that can teach a kid, or do a better job with picking kids at auditions.

I am also of the thought that "alternates" on tour is assinine. If a kid gets injured, do like many corps have done and post something, or make an announcement at a show that you need members. But don't string people along as though they may march and make them give all this money only to sit there and watch the performances. A

And yes, if a spot needs to be filled due to injury in June/July, you can find a kid to fill it if you can teach them, but don't string people along "just in case."

Just my opinion. I am sure most disagree, but well...I don't believe in this "we need options" way of thinking. Just teach the kids right, keep them in, and if a change needs to be made, make it, but not because someone can't perform well enough, in that case, i'll say it again, LEARN TO TEACH!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think all corps make their alternates pay a full tour fee...

also, announcing at shows? heh. that would make me horrifically uncomfortable. Sure, the person can probably learn the show... but how about jumping into the middle of all the horn/battery exercises? or the visual routine the corps has gotten used to? i would hate being with someone who (especially if this is mid-tour) doesnt know how to do anything we do. having an alternate allows you to have a member of the corps step up and fill the position, not inviting someone new into the corps and trying to transform them overnight into what you need.

for what its worth, if kids didnt want to be an alternate, they wouldnt do it. its not like the staff is forcing anybody to do that... its an offered position and you can take it if you want, or leave and march a full summer with a different corps if you dont.

I've seen some immensely talented understudies - they're great because they can help out instantly if someone gets hurt, but they are also there to learn. A lot of times someone will be an understudy one year, and then the next year at auditions they are regarded on the same level as most vets. They know how the corps works, they have shown dedication, and if they have met the minnimum performance ability then their hard work off the field will be rewarded.

Incidently, at Regiment 03 all of the euph understudies had a chance to march on the field for at least one show.

I'm not saying that alternates are not talented, I just don't agree with stringing kids along. Also, in case people were wondering about "announcing at shows" as I stated earlier, in 1995 I was at the LaPorte, Indiana show, and the Cadets announced that they would be auditioning after the show for 2 bari spots and 1 contra spot, so yeah, it happens, it's been done, and from watching the 1995 enough times, I can see that those holes were either filled with a person, or the forms changed, but yeah, that corps turned out alright. So....it works!

Also, not to mention, 1997, my rookie year, it was late June, and we had a sop spot...so they called a contra player who would have been aging out in 1997 to fill a SOPRANO spot, IN JUNE, and he did, and it worked, so there again, it's been done, and to much success.

As far as not charging a full tour fee, that's the right thing to do, although I would be willing to be there are organizations that would charge the full tour fee even if the person was an "alternate" the entire tour.

And as far as the "new member" being able to learn and keep up, that comes down to how well the kid plays an audition at that point of the tour, and if they are good enough to do that, then the caption head or tech's need to do a good job of teaching, and thus, SUCCESS! If not, they shouldn't have taken the person, or they should have taught them.

Honestly, in my opinion, it comes down to how well the show is designed and how well it is taught as to whether or not it works.

Edited by toddschultz

I am also of the thought that "alternates" on tour is assinine. If a kid gets injured, do like many corps have done and post something, or make an announcement at a show that you need members. But don't string people along as though they may march and make them give all this money only to sit there and watch the performances. And yes, if a spot needs to be filled due to injury in June/July, you can find a kid to fill it if you can teach them, but don't string people along "just in case."

No alternate is promised anything. Maybe it wouldn't be worth it to you to be an alternate, but it is to some people. At least they have a chance, and are spending a year with the corps. That"s better than staying home to some people. No one is forced to be an alternate. They are told they didn't make the line, and they can either not march at all, or be an alternate. If you personally don't think that's worth it, don't do it. But other kids may think it's a great stepping stoe towards making the corps next season, or even marching this one. That's their choice, not yours.

I'm sorry, but I missed the part where I said that alternates are promised something. I also missed the part where I implied that I had a choice in the matter.

As my post clearly shows...I am of the thought that the idea of having alternates on tour is not something I agree with. I also made a point of what a corps could do, and what others HAVE done in the past when faced with needing to replace someone.

I NEVER said that if a person chose to tour with a corps under the agreement that they were an ALTERNATE would be a bad choice on their part...nor did I EVER imply that I had a choice in the matter.

I am simply stating an OPINION on my BELIEFS of the alternate system. I never said a word about those people that are alternates, nor their choice as to whether or not accept the SPOT OF AN ALTERNATE.

No one is being "strung along". The term "strung along" in your context clearly means that the staff of the corps is taking the kids money, telling him he has a good shot at marching, and doesn't care if he winds up disappointed at the end of the season having spent 2000 for "nothing".

If that's not what you mean, please explain in detail what you meant by "don't string them along".

I know of a "kid" who was an alternate with a top 3 corps' color guard back in '90. Seems like he spent most of the summer being the lacky to the caption head. BUT, he later became one of the best (if not THE best) rifles ever to march and was also in the original cast of Blast!

Being an alternate is not a losing situation, if the member treats it as a learning experience.