Language use on DCP

JohnD

Chris, I think your robots comment is way out of line, whether or not you meant offense.

Seriously, how hard is it to just not use profanity on these boards? See my post in the other thread in this forum.

It isn't hard at all. We have a filter that prevents it. Or so we are told. Is it not working? If it does not work, then don't have it and kick 90% of the people off. Some of us express themselves the way we want to. And then it is changed, is that not enough? Or do we have to express our emotions through guidelines? Doh, we already do. Just kidding so I don't get booted again.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't start the robots comment, Tristan. I'm just running with it from Rich's thread.

Tristan - what I meant for you being robots is that he doesn't let you use your judgement as mods - it's follow Rich's orders or else. That in itself is ROBOTIC in nature. I'll edit this and answer the rest of your question.

It's not a question of using profanity. We have these things ################ that make profanity ACCEPTABLE.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET THAT?!?!?!?!?!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!

Edited by bumo27

John.

When we're watching NETWORK television, ya know, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX...and a curse word is said, it's bleeped out. Children watch those television networks. Babies watch them with their parents. The Bleep has become an acceptable form of censorship that most Americans agree on. If a bleep is used, all is forgiven, and NOBODY is up in arms over the Bleep. I work in the industry. I know the facts.

We're ADULTS here, for the most part. Do we have 6 year olds frequenting DRUM CORPS planet? We're a bunch of crazy people that are weekend warriors, or spend entire summers on the road, hanging out with people from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures, ages and races...we ALL curse and if we don't, we're CERTAINLY exposed to it CONSTANTLY and are USED to living this way. It's a way of expressing ourselves as AMERICANS in public and in private that is just part of our lifestyle as drum corps people.

You wanna censor Marching Band Planet where it's MOSTLY children? Go ahead. You wanna censor Color Guard Planet where there's a lot of kids? Go for it. They don't curse on the Disney Channel. But they sure as hell do on NBC and CBS. Ya know, where EVERYONE watches and is a part of.

Don't take the freedom of our Bleeps away. They help us express our emotions sometimes. They help us bring out our personalities. Some of us are so old, myself included, that it's too late to change that aspect of ourselves. Don't try to change who your members ARE, John. Stop this foolishness.

We've been here for years, and you're driving us away. You will NOT get me to agree with you on this, and I have A TON of supporters behind me.

WE ARE DRUM CORPS PLANET.

w/Stp:

I didn't start the robots comment, Tristan. I'm just running with it from Rich's thread.

Tristan - what I meant for you being robots is that he doesn't let you use your judgement as mods - it's follow Rich's orders or else. That in itself is ROBOTIC in nature.

True, as well as posters close to them. IMHO, to cover my ### (That means TOE.)

Except that your impression in how the moderating works is patently false. Just about everything we do policy-wise involves some pretty extensive discussion among all the staff. There is no "or else" at all. There are only a few instances I can think of where certain policies are dictated top-down, and that is generally due to a legal liability issue (e.g., our media posting policy).

Tristan - what I meant for you being robots is that he doesn't let you use your judgement as mods - it's follow Rich's orders or else. That in itself is ROBOTIC in nature.

Chris, what you construe as "robots", some may construe as "direction". Here's a DCP example for you:

John gives me "direction".

I give the FST "direction".

Direction is the foundation for "structure".

I didn't realize you were privy to the behind-the-scenes activity of the staff.

Hey Rich and John - I know this thread is far from being ended, but don't you find it intriguing that so far, all of your MEMBERS are opposed to this newly enforced rule? Ya know, the people that this entire site is FOR?

And the only ones that are "for" it are your mods that follow your every whim?

Just a thought.

Chris, what you construe as "robots", some may construe as "direction". Here's a DCP example for you:

John gives me "direction".

I give the FST "direction".

Direction is the foundation for "structure".

I didn't realize you were privy to the behind-the-scenes activity of the staff.

There's quite a bit that you don't realize, apparently.

It's not a question of using profanity. We have these things ################ that make profanity ACCEPTABLE.

DON'T YOU PEOPLE GET THAT?!?!?!?!?!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!

Except the guidelines clearly state (and have for a long time) that profanity is NOT acceptable. That is what we are now enforcing more strongly than we have in the past. The filter will still work to cover it up, but the whole point is you're not supposed to use it in the first place.