Language use on DCP

JohnD

I'm not going to bolt because of this. I do sware but at the same time, I don't like it.

So it is a decission based upon the youth that visits the boards and their parents? A nice representation of the activity... Yes?

Well, we all know (that marched) what a crock of .... well you know.

I never heard as much profanity then my times marching, from staff. See it all the time. (I honestly have a problem cursing in that enviroment, I teach and I never came close to cussing on a field) Again, I hope these kids don't march.

Now... I'll stick around on the boards, friends made here are much more important then the stupid policy but I have a concern. I'm an emotional person (very) and I'm a big ranter. If by the slip of mind I threw in a few words do I get susspended for days (If I'm ranting, I want to be heard, also I want some laughs involved, part of healing process I guess)? How many is too many? Two way words? (ie... crank[ take this as legit not trying to be vulgar])

Now I feel if you are going to make this stance you need to rewrite the policy. It should cover vulgarity... there is a difference. If all profanity is vulgarity in the eyes of this board, so be it. JohnD and Rich (who have always been VERY helpfull too me), IMO... this policy needs to be rewritten and clearly defined. You will have tacky post with clean words.

Also, mods need to be tolarent if one word is enough. Simply edited the post as it is called for. There are post on these boards that are ment for shock (I save those post for blogs) then there are post where somebodys "normal" conversation manner slip in and BLEEP, we have a word.

Looking at it more close, I can deal with this rule BUT I know me and others on here. We see this forum (especially OT) as informal, chit-chat, a bar without the beer, drunks, and stupidity. We will slip, after years on this board we talk as we do to friends, an this is the way we are in real life. That part will change, we will change.

Edited by CloudHype

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is my absolute last word on this subject because quite frankly, I agree with the staff and among the posters in this thread, that puts me in the minority..

but I think Chris made a comment that "all of the members" seem to disagree with the way this issue is being handled.. and I don't see "all" of anything in this thread.. I see a lot of the same names and the same people -- not even close to "all" of the members of the DCP community as a whole.

I'll lay dollars to donuts that 99.9% of people who are members of this site couldn't give a flying fickle finger of fate what gets pounded out and why because mostly they don't use those words when communicating on this site about drum corps. It happens to them once in a blue moon.. they move on.

Just because you're loudest, doesn't mean you represent everybody. Try to keep that in mind. A little perspective might be nice, too. The vocal minority has always tried to drive the direction of this site. Understanding exactly what percentage of the whole membership you are might give you the perspective you need to make an effective argument for or against whatever you believe is right.

Thanks for listening.

Stef

Emma: Why do you need to post like that in the first place?

post like what? using profanity? it's language. different situations call for different uses of language. my posts rarely contain it, but having the option, the human choice, is nice.

and if you mean my post in general, it's an entirely serious and valid post. i want answers and guidelines, not just something filled with "we have a problem and yes it's ambiguous"

until there are CLEAR guidelines in place, i really have a problem understanding and accepting the "enforcement"

no, I'm wondering what he needs to "give a few years"

it's either meant as rude and snarky, or I'm missing something. :worthy:

I'm just asking for some clarification.

Oh Not at all rude. I mean people need to grow. Just like when we were kids. It is part of life. We grow in Drum Corps, that we all know. And I think many need to grow in here too. What ever way they do it. Just an opinion. I myself have grown here also. Sorry for any confusion.

first, this isn't a personal affront and i realize you guys are stuck in the middle here, i'm just going off of what you said here....

let's go with the example that some straight and narrow, goody goody parents are coming to do research about drum corps and google sends them here. a hole has opened up in a corps, the corps contacted their daughter about filling it in late June. they read a few threads, trying to get an idea of what drum corps is really like. they decide they love what they see, the environment portrayed, and let little susie go off and tour with a top 12 color guard.

heavenly schnikes! susie goes on tour and is surrounded by filthy mouths, nudity, brief run throughs, sexual innuendoes, sex in general, etc etc etc.... susie calls her parents in a panic, and they have no idea what to say, because the research they did indicated nothing of the sort due to the "censorship" that occurs here....

see, to me, i think the line is somewhere in the middle.... the image of drum corps does include profanity. how many here ever had a staff member curse at them? *raises own hand*

what's so great about drum corps is that there are people involved from ALL walks of life... different races, genders, sexual orientations, religions, ethnicities, etc etc etc.... and we're all so different, from the clothes we wear to the food we enjoy to the language we use... why provide an inaccurate, censored portrayal of the diversity that is drum corps?

makes me sad that someone would be trying to homogenize and sugarcoat our differences. :(

/ my opinions

Emma, that was AWESOME.

Rich and John - nothing else needs be said after what Emma just said here. That was PERFECT.

^5 Emma.

:worthy:

but I think Chris made a comment that "all of the members" seem to disagree with the way this issue is being handled.. and I don't see "all" of anything in this thread.. I see a lot of the same names and the same people -- not even close to "all" of the members of the DCP community as a whole.
No Stef, just all the members that had posted so far...as I ALSO said, that the thread wasn't even close to being ended yet.

Would you please read everything and UNDERSTAND it before you post at will? Thanks.

Hey Rich and John - I know this thread is far from being ended, but don't you find it intriguing that so far, all of your MEMBERS are opposed to this newly enforced rule? Ya know, the people that this entire site is FOR?

And the only ones that are "for" it are your mods that follow your every whim?

Just a thought.

See? Read the WHOLLLLLE post.

heavenly schnikes! susie goes on tour and is surrounded by filthy mouths, nudity, brief run throughs, sexual innuendoes, sex in general, etc etc etc.... susie calls her parents in a panic, and they have no idea what to say, because the research they did indicated nothing of the sort due to the "censorship" that occurs here....

The behaviors you describe are not unique to our activity. Drum corps is a collection of people, generally normal and regular people. And when you get 130 - 150 "regular" people together for any activity a certain percentage of that population is going to swear, use sexual innuendo, etc. If a parent has raised his child to the age where he/she could march corps, that would not be a surprise. Families who are shielding their children from such behavior will certainly choose other, more appropriate activities (church groups, boy/girl scouts, etc.) where they will be less likely to see/hear anything inappropriate.

For me a bigger issue is that everything you write here is more or less a permanent record. You write something and move on, but what you wrote is out there for a long time, whether it's on the DCP servers or cached somewhere on the internet, or stored on someone's hard drive. You might be proud to be a "free spirit" today and drop F-bombs like they're a dime a dozen, but your feelings may change later.

post like what? using profanity? it's language. different situations call for different uses of language. my posts rarely contain it, but having the option, the human choice, is nice.

and if you mean my post in general, it's an entirely serious and valid post. i want answers and guidelines, not just something filled with "we have a problem and yes it's ambiguous"

until there are CLEAR guidelines in place, i really have a problem understanding and accepting the "enforcement"

emma, the ambiguity in the guideline is for things like the occassional slip when someone is mad/emotional etc.

so that you're not going to get the ax for making an emotional post and saying word XYZ.

John said exactly that in his post.