Best Pit Award

Did they allow you to drink a beer between the announcements or were you parched? :mmm:

Oh, for some of you young guys out there... for the record, the best pit ensemble has been an award since the mid to late eighties. You may win high drums without winning best pit ensemble. It's happened quite a few times - legitimately so.

LOL!!!!! No adult beverages for me while working....seriously. (Or those #### airgrams at band shows would sound even funnier than some of them already are)

Not 100 percent sure about this..... but I think the Best Pit award was not based on a score per se (since I don't think there is a subcaption breakout for pit ensembles within the percussion sheets), but rather on a subjective choice....similar to Best Soloist, Best Contra Line, etc. I could be wrong about this.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they allow you to drink a beer between the announcements or were you parched? :mmm:

Oh, for some of you young guys out there... for the record, the best pit ensemble has been an award since the mid to late eighties. You may win high drums without winning best pit ensemble. It's happened quite a few times - legitimately so.

The best pit award was started in 1993 and named in honor of Donnie Lee who had marched with Westshore and the Bucs and was a DCA judge. He had passed away unexpectedly and they did this to honor him. I do not know if the family was behind this or not.

I understand in 1993 the trophy was sponsored by two people. One of them was Ed Teleky. I don't remember who the other one was. As I understand the story, or quite possibly myth, the Skyliners and some other corps had hot pits that year and the two instructors wanted a side competition between the two, so they bought a trophy and left it up to the field judge to decide which pit was best. I read in the tribute to Sean Holton that the Metropolitans won the best pit trophy that year.

I don't know if all the facts as I understand them are correct, but it is a funny story.

I understand in 1993 the trophy was sponsored by two people. One of them was Ed Teleky. I don't remember who the other one was. As I understand the story, or quite possibly myth, the Skyliners and some other corps had hot pits that year and the two instructors wanted a side competition between the two, so they bought a trophy and left it up to the field judge to decide which pit was best. I read in the tribute to Sean Holton that the Metropolitans won the best pit trophy that year.

I don't know if all the facts as I understand them are correct, but it is a funny story.

i love that pic of the Matadors on your signiture...

i love that pic of the Matadors on your signiture...

Thanks Jared,

I was hooked on them long before the triple tongued soprano solos in their Rocky shows. That's one corps I really miss. So few younger drum corps fans of today know anything of some of the corps' of the '70s and 80's. It makes me feel real old. I do hope for the Matadors to be on the field again someday, along with the Westshoremen, Steel City Ambassadors, Troopers. Oh wait, Troopers are back. BRAVO!!

Lee, after you're done with the Skyliners move on to Rhode Island and put the Matadors back into play. :worthy:

Edited by Ultimate_cab_fan