Best Pit Award

Just a thought... why don't we do awards at finals the way we do them at high school band shows? Announce the placement and all awards that go with it at the same time.

In other words, instead of giving every trophy out individually and then going through all the scores and placements, try something like "in 3rd place, no penalties and receiving the high guard score, ___________." Could go through everything a little quicker. Or we could send Fran off to auction school and we could have all awards and placements announced in 30 seconds or so.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought... why don't we do awards at finals the way we do them at high school band shows? Announce the placement and all awards that go with it at the same time.

In other words, instead of giving every trophy out individually and then going through all the scores and placements, try something like "in 3rd place, no penalties and receiving the high guard score, ___________." Could go through everything a little quicker. Or we could send Fran off to auction school and we could have all awards and placements announced in 30 seconds or so.

can i ask what circuit does that?

because the one here doesn't do it that way. we do announcements in the same fashion as DCA.

Cavalcade of Bands usually does.

i've never been to one of their shows. it's an interesting approach.

Certainly makes it quick to get through 2 shows with 4 classes and 8 subclasses totalling a ton of bands in one weekend.

can i ask what circuit does that?

because the one here doesn't do it that way. we do announcements in the same fashion as DCA.

TOB does it with the placements, although we don't announce whether anybody got any penalties.

IMHO, I prefer announcing of the special awards with the placement for the sole reason that it retains some of the suspense of who won the show. If the same group won High Visual and High Music and it was announced before the placements, you pretty much already know who won the show.

Several subcaption and special awards were eliminated last season to streamline the awards ceremony.

Fran

what is this DCI ... we have to shorten the awards ... Im tired ... my feet are cold .... my butts numb ... its only one night a year suck it up and let us have fun ... yeesh

Edited by knightsbari

Most of the people that complained about finals retreat being too long were probably the corps members themselves, because it cuts into our drinking time!

:P

And,

Although i hate to be one to come right out and say it, but it was boring!

My first DCA retreat , I was standing in retreat thinking "My god! can they just get through this??!?!"

Each award had a 20 minute preface as to how it came about, and it just drags things out. I had a busload of friends and current and former students come out to see me and every single one of them said that was the only part of the night they didnt like.

Honestly, to me the old system was a little "Marching Band Show"-ish.

It reminded me of several shows ive been to with the group i teach where there was a trophy for 1st -10th place, and each one had a name, and a 20 miunte story behind it, and that was just for PLACEMENT!

Then they went on to

High brass, high woodwinds, high percussion, High visual, best drum major, best overall effect, fir EACH CLASS!!!, and then the exact same list of "Best" awards for the overall contest,most entertaining, best overall marching, best busses, best menu during lunch, best corps director T-shirt, cleanest bells on horns, straightest plume, who drove the furthest to be here, etc etc.

it just gets long and boring.

DCA professes to be all about the fans, and all about the corps. i think this is an example of that. Good move!

Personally, i think 5 captions, and 1-3rd. Drums, brass, guard, vis, effect. then gold, silver bronze, then boom biggitty boom, thanks for comin out! go start the fiesta in the lot, let the winning team do their encore, and get this show on the road.

two very enthusiastic THUMBS UP!

tony

Cavalcade of Bands usually does.

The USSBA show that I worked in Annapolis in November basically used the same approach.

Fran