Best Pit Award

My first DCA retreat , I was standing in retreat thinking "My god! can they just get through this??!?!"

LOL.....from the perspective of the person who has to read all that awards stuff, I agree with you 100 percent!

In my opinion, last year's shorter awards ceremony was much easier on:

1) Me.

2) My wife Barbara, then-DCA PR director Fred Windish, and whoever else helped them put together the list of awards presenters, awards sponsors, any dedications, etc. It's a job that sounds easy, but it's not.

3) The audience and corps members.

Fran

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i ask what circuit does that?

because the one here doesn't do it that way. we do announcements in the same fashion as DCA.

WI, MN, and TN do it the same way as DCA.

Now begs the question of why can't the corps play themselves off at finals anymore? Or did they this year... I honestly don't know, I went home. :sshh:

The reason I got in 2003 was because it took too long.

The USSBA show that I worked in Annapolis in November basically used the same approach.

Fran

And, IMHO...(thank you Fran & Barb and John & Anna, Donna and I were there) it did seem to go by very quickly. :drool:

As quickly as it could for having...how many bands did you announce that day/night?

(I know it was less then 200 b**bs )

HECK... we should just mail in tapes so they can be judged. They can mail us the awards via snail mail. Then none of us have to sit through any of it.

^0^

DUCK!!!

As quickly as it could for having...how many bands did you announce that day/night?

(I know it was less then 200 b**bs )

LOL.... it was close to 50 bands for the entire day. LONG day!!!

Fran

Fran

Did they allow you to drink a beer between the announcements or were you parched? :mmm:

Oh, for some of you young guys out there... for the record, the best pit ensemble has been an award since the mid to late eighties. You may win high drums without winning best pit ensemble. It's happened quite a few times - legitimately so.

Rightfully so is right! Best pit should go to the best pit. Best percussion should go to the best OVERALL percussion program. They're not necessarily the same. Just as the corps with the best brass, and best guard, may not necessarily also be the best CORPS of the night!

Fran

I've been to a few shows with 10 (or so) Corps competing and the awards ceremony seemed to take longer than you did with 50 bands at the end of that night... :blink:

B)

Did they allow you to drink a beer between the announcements or were you parched? :mmm:

Oh, for some of you young guys out there... for the record, the best pit ensemble has been an award since the mid to late eighties. You may win high drums without winning best pit ensemble. It's happened quite a few times - legitimately so.

Luis,

I don't know anything about whether or not Fran had the time to "drink a beer between the announcements" or not, (with ALL of those "AirGrams"...hehe) but I doubt there was enough time to "deposit" any beer after the "rental" was up... b**bs At dinner after the show it didn't look like any harm, in the way of being "parched", had effected Mr. Haring. :blink:

You mentioned "young guys", that might be too young to remember or know, and the mid to late '80's?..... :blink:

(NOW I feel old......er :blink: thanks... b**bs )