Best Pit Award

I agree with the commemeration, naming it the Holton award and what not, but if it doesn't go to the group that wins high percussion, it would be a slap in the face... Unless they are going to have a seperate judge for front ensembles...??? which doesn't make much sense.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know DCA has gotten away from some of the extra special awards....i mean we were fast approaching the type that were for "best lead sop line with no hair and sunglasses award", but one needs to come back.

the best pit award

and it needs to be dedicated to Sean Holton.

thank you

No offence, but when a contra player passes will you ask for the "Best contraline" award to come back?

The idea of of honoring that person is a good one, but you might want to think of another way to do it. Percussionists are percussionists, marching or not, so the high percussion award is enough...

Just my opinion though.

Not everyone that has gone before us gets an award named after them. Last time I went to finals the memorial awards were in honor of people that have made a significant impact on drum corps. i.e. Mickey Petrone, Lefty Mayer...

Sean has made a very big impression in DCA and therefore deserves an award in honor of him. If we are going to get all uptight about adding an award to finals then dedicate the I&E pit award to him.

I'm sure we could come up with something.........hell we more or less retired the "Best Contrabass Section" award and it all but went up in smoke last year, doesn't that leave room for a new award??

I think its great to honor the people you want to honor. thats great. I personally dont know who that is tho.

I just think its a useless award unless you start awarding every specific section a sub-captionaward.

and again, if the pit is a seperate entity, do you come up with a commemorative award for Battery ensembles and just forget about having an overall "High Percussion"?

Then if your gonna do that, maybe a "Best Sabres", "Best Rifles", and "Best Flags" instead of "High Colorguard"?

Again, there are ways to honor someone without creating extra awards.

Tony

the Best Pit award was around as long as I can remember...but i've only been around since 1992.

I'm sure we could come up with something.........hell we more or less retired the "Best Contrabass Section" award and it all but went up in smoke last year, doesn't that leave room for a new award??

Well the reason for no more best contrabass line, and best pit award is because people complained that the retreats were too long... so you start adding one award in memory of... then it's another... and it's back where people whine because it's too long again...

There are MANY people over the years that were important one way or another to DCA, and more to come, and I don't know Sean Holton and I don't mean to offend anyone, but DCA could find another way to remember great people then by creating awards... that's all I am saying...

Well the reason for no more best contrabass line, and best pit award is because people complained that the retreats were too long... so you start adding one award in memory of... then it's another... and it's back where people whine because it's too long again...

I agree with Christine here. The idea was/is to shorten an awards ceremony that, IMO, had gotten out of hand.

Perhaps a moment of silence during the Finals awards ceremony this season... or a written tribute to Sean in the championship Yearbook.... perhaps a tribute to be read at Finals.... any one or more of these, I think, would be a fitting way to honor Sean and his memory.

Fran

I agree with Christine here. The idea was/is to shorten an awards ceremony that, IMO, had gotten out of hand.

Perhaps a moment of silence during the Finals awards ceremony this season... or a written tribute to Sean in the championship Yearbook.... perhaps a tribute to be read at Finals.... any one or more of these, I think, would be a fitting way to honor Sean and his memory.

Fran

Im all in favor of doing something for Sean and any member of DCA that passes.

I think they had a moment of silence for Lothar when he went down.

Corps that he was involved with could always get a large photo of him blown up and put it on the sidelines at shows this season.A local high school band did that a couple of years ago.It was a 5 ft large photo of him in his uniform.The way they set it up was they put it in the backfield as if he was watching over his band.

Very fitting.

I suppose my view, regardless of what awards have come and gone or are yet to be created, is:

I fully support an appropriate means to honor Sean Holton be it an award, announcement or moment of silence at DCA.