February is Black History Month

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was the first black drum major in a top 12 corps? I know Donald Fitzgerald was in 1976 for the Blue Stars. Were there any earlier ones?

Willy...Mighty St' Joe's of Batavia,NY was co-drum major from1968-71

I wonder if Mike Boo has ever written or read about this? If not, he could write an excellent ethnography about the subject. In a way, it would be a subject that would further legitimize the history of our activity.

Elmo Blatch

It's a great idea. I just got home from a week in Florida (85 degrees in the Everglades on Friday and the next day ten below in Chicago). Let me rest my head and see if I can make something of this. I was at the Honda Battle of the Bands in Atlanta and wrote something about it for DCI.org...don't know if it's been on yet.

Who was the first black drum major in a top 12 corps? I know Donald Fitzgerald was in 1976 for the Blue Stars. Were there any earlier ones?

The first black DM in a top 12 corps that I can remember was George Moore for the 1969 Blue Stars. As I remember, he was HUGE - 6'4" - 6'5". Add to that he was wearing a nearly all white uniform with a white helmet, and he looked really huge. Great command voice.

The 1971 Des Plaines Vanguard had minorities in the drum major and color guard captain slots.

Speaking of diversity, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Nisei Ambassadors. Although they were most commonly known for Asian memberships, the 1969 version of the corps was quite diverse.

Edited by Jim Anello

My 75 DVD shows Kilties having a black drum major.

Jim Prime... marched years ago, and in the 80's and 90's became one of the best brass arrangers the activity has ever seen!

Still is. He wrote a great book for us this year. That man is amazing. :doh:

My wife has a story from the early '70's about a black member of St. Johns Girls being refused service at a restaurant while on tour, resulting in all the girls present walking out.

My wife has a story from the early '70's about a black member of St. Johns Girls being refused service at a restaurant while on tour, resulting in all the girls present walking out.

Awhile back someone mentioned a story about that happening in Beaver Dam WI in the 70s. I was shocked...I didn't realize we had such blatant racism up north here in the 70s! I never saw it...I probably would have had a fit if I had...and I heard the corps members with that person had a fit that day too.

SO glad those days are fading into the past.

Awhile back someone mentioned a story about that happening in Beaver Dam WI in the 70s. I was shocked...I didn't realize we had such blatant racism up north here in the 70s! I never saw it...I probably would have had a fit if I had...and I heard the corps members with that person had a fit that day too.

SO glad those days are fading into the past.

I don't know where or exactly when it happened - Kel will probably on here later and can fill in the details.