Marching Styles

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

w/Stp:

Well, all I know is that this looks #### good:

Feet look good for the most part. Can't say the same for the horns up being in time and uniform.

If I'm not mistaken that was filmed in Alentown, correct?

Edited by Y2JWC

Well, it says DCI East, so that's what I'm going to assume.

Lol....who could mistake that lovely warm up site...the longest walk (other than finals) for a winding paved path no more than 8 feet wide. But i still love allentown though:) Oh..ok and the horns up only sucked when someone jumped into a line at the last second to make it 5...hardly representative of the actual technique.

i think someone posted earlier that all corp's marching styles are variations on the corps traditions. i think for the most part that is true. thats also the problem. whats more important? keeping the "tradition"? or making your dot in a way that is most comfortable and least wasteful of energy?

on second thought, are the corps that are keeping tradition really doing just that? or are they just doing exactly the same thing every year because they cant come up with something better?

this is why i really really really liked the Cav style of marching. the only thing behind its inception is cold hard logic. it does take some time to develop because i think it requires a bit more overall strength and muscle control from the hips down. and you do need someone who knows it inside and out to teach it well. preferably someone named waldo, or zack, or ivan, or smelldacat. so if you are teaching a middle school i would probably just go with something simpler.

its also far from a bicycle. it looks simple enough but there has been some serious thought put into it. in fact their are minor minor changes made yearly considering its under constant scrutiny by the higher staff and other various dark lords. also, for the line, learning how to crab and diagonal crab is like learning a new language. BUT, whence learned correctly it has got to be by far the most logically sound, ergonomically correct and energy saving technique.

Edited by karl E. Hungus

No, which does mean that it takes quite of control to not shrink too much when marching backwards. It would seem that the fluidity of motion (and ultimately involving the upper body, the musician, as little as possible) and the symmetry in regards to the frontward style are greater priorities for the visual program.

In any case, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

However, as that articulation happens, the other foot is in the process of straightening, which balances the process out.

In that regard, there is always some time in The Cavaliers technique, forwards or backwards, where one leg should be completely straight.

well being that i cant speak for the Cavaliers i dont know where you get that the back leg is not straight. personally i march BK so a very articulate bent leg style and the back leg is always straight on the beat as well as the front leg.