Marching Styles

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, interesting question. To me the "best" marching style is the one that results in the best playing and draws the least attention to itself, so for me right now that's the blue devils. That's pretty much the style I teach anyway. I also love cadets' style except sometimes the backwards roll I don't think works and, depending on the year it seems like, they sometimes change elbow angles when sliding. Cavaliers' style is cool since it's so intricate and distinctive yet they do it so incredibly well. I can't imagine teaching that many moving parts! I wish more corps would strive for something to set them apart marching-wise; that's easier said than done though. I'll think of some more....

BD has the best technique by far, although Cadets have loosened up a lot recently which makes their technique better.

I love BD's technique as well. It's my favortie technique and is almost exactly the same as The Cadets technique, they just do a better job at relaxing and making it look easy. For the ensemble and especially on high cam, I prefer Cadets though. A lot of that might have to do with being able to see timing the space between the legs easier with cream pants.

Hmm, interesting question. To me the "best" marching style is the one that results in the best playing and draws the least attention to itself, so for me right now that's the blue devils. That's pretty much the style I teach anyway. I also love cadets' style except sometimes the backwards roll I don't think works and, depending on the year it seems like, they sometimes change elbow angles when sliding. Cavaliers' style is cool since it's so intricate and distinctive yet they do it so incredibly well. I can't imagine teaching that many moving parts! I wish more corps would strive for something to set them apart marching-wise; that's easier said than done though. I'll think of some more....

"Elbows" in Cadets shows are an actual part of the technique, not a mistake.

Edited by ThePaula

"Elbows" in Cadets shows are an actual part of the technique, not a mistake.

I know, just not my fave part of their style, anybody know if it is in or out depending on the year? Seems like I remember it a lot esp. in the 89 show.