If you could, would you march a traditional corps?

would you give a traditional corps a go?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. The 1970's drum corps reality show.

• Yes,I would definitely love to try it.
    • No, I would not do this.
    • If I saw it and it wasn't lame, I would try it.

Forgive my use of the word traditional. I didn't mean to offend people that have stringent criteria for use of the word.

For the sake of this post, let's just say the type of instruments and drills in use in the 1970s-1981 or so, with allowances for comfort as far as drums and guard are concerned.

Lot's of the younger people seem to have an interest in, at least the '70's & '80's shows with traditional instruments.

Say, the opportunity arose where a new circuit was created that offered a neighborhood style corps in a traditional vein.

Instruments; my choice would be Valve/Rotor in G, definitely chrome, (except for Bridgemen). Yes, they were kind of horrible, (not the Bridgemen), but contrary to popular belief, they were usually quite well made and once you got the hang of them, they really were and are great fun to play.

Drums would be '80s style, but drummers would know about that. You can have all the pit instruments you can carry. You can ground them at concert.

Drills could be modern style, but no jazz running or whatever it's called.

Guard could use modern equipment, flags and rifles, no props. Uniforms should match the rest of the corps colors.

You get your horn, your uniform, your instruction. You compete in local shows with other area corps. (say you could come up with shows with at least 3-4 corps every weekend within 100 miles) and do parades and such for fundraising.

Dues is say, $5.00 a week or $250 for the year.

Once a year there are local championships within area circuits.

Once a year there is a championship with no qualifiers, if you can make it there and want to compete you're in prelims. One day a prelim show. That evening the Championship. Top 12 corps. undecided about a shortened prelim show, anybody remember those? Undecided about inspections also.

These are just details for the sake of discussion.

What's the point? Well, none really. I'm just curious to see how many people think the traditional experience would be worth the effort. Whether they think it would be fun and interesting. Sort of like that PBS special where they lived on the prairie in 1850 and had to adapt and work to see if they could last a winter. (I think they all failed, but the one woman that seemed mean and drove her family apart would've made it, I'm sure...but I digress)

In no way am I suggesting that this would be so challenging the people couldn't do it. Bear it, that's another story.

It's just for fun. I think it would be a neat idea though and an added dimension to the shrinking resemblance todays corps have to their heritage.

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see, i thrive on intense-difficult-fast-huge steps-modern drill along with my tuba...

neither of which are in this game.

this would be fun, but only for some. i would rather march in todays DCI

see, i thrive on intense-difficult-fast-huge steps-modern drill along with my tuba...

neither of which are in this game.

this would be fun, but only for some. i would rather march in todays DCI

Second. Modern shows and modern corps are the bees knees in my book.

I would kill to be part of any mid 70s Scouts show!

Edited by madalumni

You guys seriously want to march drums with straps, piston horns, and a marching pit?

Man, that is one step shy of massochistic

You guys seriously want to march drums with straps, piston horns, and a marching pit?

Man, that is one step shy of massochistic

One of the reasons I put in in the 70s or early 80s was that they had stopped using dum slings and flag belts by then.

Piston Horns would give a truer experience and they're fun, as well as easy to hold.

I don't know what kind of drums they used snare wise and such. Help me out.