SCV-the bedposts. :)

Oh my gosh, I love you.... :tic::wub::wub:

And to all others who support us.

I love you all!!! :doh::doh::doh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this belongs in another thread, but it relates to color guard...

Bobby Hoffman was the drill designer for Kingsmen when they were in their glory (right?)

He became known for the Bridgemen and VK with their laid back styles. Kingsmen's style was anything but "laid back"!! How much influence did Hoffman have on the Kingsmen's hard-hitting style? Was that style there before he came? Were there other staff members that had a bigger influence on the style?

Yes, I know Bridgemen and VK had moments in their respective shows where they could hit hard and march like heck. But nobody would mistake them for Kingsmen style-wise.

Very curious about this...

Thanks in advance. (Vicki??)

I was so happy to see this thread.. to read it.. and be surprised and be in wonder about it.

Sincerely disappointed.

Sharon

Thank you for your "contribution"

Bobby Hoffman was the drill designer for Kingsmen when they were in their glory (right?)

He became known for the Bridgemen and VK with their laid back styles. Kingsmen's style was anything but "laid back"!! How much influence did Hoffman have on the Kingsmen's hard-hitting style? Was that style there before he came? Were there other staff members that had a bigger influence on the style?

Yes, I know Bridgemen and VK had moments in their respective shows where they could hit hard and march like heck. But nobody would mistake them for Kingsmen style-wise.

The Kingsmen style was in place several years before the arrival of Bobby Hoffman. I don't think there is a single answer as how it evolved but the founder, Don Porter, was an ex-military man and that had something to do with it. Also, and an old- time Kingsmen rifle told me this; it was around the time of the women's lib movement and there was an attitude of "anything a man can do, I can do" Thus, the "tough" attitude of the color guard and their military bearing, which eventually spread to the rest of the corps.

That’s my take but Vicki might have a different, more accurate, one since she marched before I did.

Bobby came for the '73 and '74 season. Prior drills, M&M etc were done by others, Pete Emmons '67, and especially drill designer Don Hertel for '68-'69, '71-'72, who came from the Des Plaines Vanguard (IIRC)

I would also be remiss if I didn't point out that Rocco Oliverio, horn instructor starting about 1967, was still a Marine at Camp Pendleton when he started, as well being a former Jr corps member...

I suppose it would be fair to say that the point of Bobby's work was to showcase the Kingsmen's military snap and hard-driving music within a more open and curvilinear drill...

Edited by GuyW

My first exposure to color guard came in when I was 3 years old... my sister started marching in 1986 . so my comments on my favorite "old school" guard will be around that point...

I'd have to say that in the mid-80's the 1985 Garfield Cadets guard was just amazing! I sincerely wish I could get my guards to spin like that! WOW total precision, AND with body underneath... I love it! Also enjoyed the Cavaliers back then too.. 1987 - 1990... some great guards... gotta love the old backscratcher into a slam move... so fast! I actually used it in 2002 for an americana show I wrote... girls loved it!