Blue Devils Drumline - No High Drums since 97

No they did not average them in 99.

As I recall, BD was undefeated in drums most of the season and never lost to SCV except finals night, when they dropped a full point and finished third.

Which is why I always find it amusing when people suggest that BD was "lucky" to tie that year.

thanks chuck king!

politics and personal agenda in drum corps? no way <**>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BINGO . The perc writing helps the corp earn points in Music Effect which is worth more points than a peformance caption.

It's got a lot to do with the book. Scott loves to write very dense books, lots of notes. More notes = more chances to tick. If Scott dumbed the parts down a bit, I think BD would have a lot more drum titles in their book.

P.S. someone earlier wrote about Scott's writing being too dense...Cadets write just as dense if not more (06, 07...) and ...uhhh....Scott doesn't write the book for BD

Scott who?? I thought Scott Johnson did write the book for BD. If he doesn't, who does??

baio.jpg

Scott Baio of course!

Conversely, I've NEVER heard more notes than I heard from Phantom the last two years. Their book is just insane. It must be a pack of black pages. They had flam combos I found entirely unnecessary, and if I hadn't seen them with my own eyes, I wouldn't have even noticed them. I could only ask ... why?

Really? Maybe I've been away from the activity too long, but I remember books like Cadets '93 being harder (or at least seeming that way). I talked to a couple of friends who marched SCV (one of them was section leader) in the parking lot during semi-finals and they felt Phantom was the best. I didn't see it myself, but I trust their judgment.

Personally, I didn't see much crazy tenor line action like 1996 blue devils for example.

Really? Maybe I've been away from the activity too long, but I remember books like Cadets '93 being harder (or at least seeming that way). I talked to a couple of friends who marched SCV (one of them was section leader) in the parking lot during semi-finals and they felt Phantom was the best. I didn't see it myself, but I trust their judgment.

Personally, I didn't see much crazy tenor line action like 1996 blue devils for example.

I guess it also depends on what you think of as a lot of notes. Diddles, drags, and rolls sound like a lot of notes, but it's like bread before a meal. The flam hybrids ... those raise the bar for a line for me. I've heard bass lines whip those out lately.

Scott who?? I thought Scott Johnson did write the book for BD. If he doesn't, who does??

Dave Glyde....has since the early 90's

Well I don't have much of an opinion on the snares, but the bass tunning has changed for the worse. Do they come with a pillow inside? I imagine the flams pop a little better, but I just don't like the tone. I say let them ring!