1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the first that comes to mind is SCV 91.

though, I rarely ever see Cavies 91 mentioned... it got 2nd place in dci, so I guess I can't really count it as too underrated.

~>conner

Good point. Christmas Tree Pull FTW.

indeed... one of my favorite drum corps moments ever.

~>conner

Freelancers performed music from Danny Elfman and John Williams in the late 1980s. AWSOME shows....

from Corpsreps:

1988 The Music of John Williams - Adventures on Earth (from E.T.) * Yoda's Theme (from Star Wars) * Forest Battle * Adventures on Earth (from E.T.)

88 Freelancers :doh::lol::doh::doh:

I LOVE that show! What a horn line. The opener was amazing, and simply blew away Star's version from 86.

I screwed up on the poll because the title of the poll is different than the title of the topic... exact opposite...

But! I think that movie scores have INCREDIBLE potential in drum corps, and even though some of them look like they would be foolish in the hands of a top 6 corps (yes yes we know LOTR would be weird) some of them can also produce incredible programs.

People should also keep in mind the fact that the use of music from a movie does not mean the show needs to be based on that movie.

Your argument, based on original "intent" of music, would pretty much rule out anyting that wasn't written specifically for drum corps. I don't think it makes much sense-- I highly doubt that Dvorak imagined future tie ins with The Wedge as he wrote New World, but that doesn't mean it could never be used to make a totally bad*** drum corps show (which, in my opinion, it was).

I love movie music and many GREAT shows have had movie music int hem.

SCV did the theme from Hunt for Red October

Regiment's closer in 93 (and 94) was Death Hunt from North by Northwest

I second the score from the Illusionist (or most Philip Glass for that matter)

Also Hans Zimmer, would love to see Backdraft done well.

Death Hunt was actually from On Dangerous Ground. In 94, our closer was a mix of music from it and North By Northwest. (White Witch Doctor was also from a movie, of the same name)