Movie Scores should not be used as shows

should movie scores be used as shows  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

Les Mis source is from the musical, not any of the movies :)

I say yes, why not, it's been done well before.

Regiment's "Spartacus" was music from the ballet by Khatchaturian, not music from the film with Kirk Douglas. But that brings up a parallel IMO – ballet scores and operas are written to serve a specific story told through visuals much like movie scores. However, both have been used in very effective drum corps shows. I see very little difference in using well-written and arranged movie scores.

Sure pick on the fat Canadian kid, geez !! :doh:

I know that Les Miz was a musical play first and that Spartacus was the music of whoever, all I know is that these were some of my all time favories drum corps shows !! :doh: b**bs :doh: b**bs

Besides, if it hadn't been for Phantom Regiment, I probably would have gotten my classical exposure to watching Saturday morning cartoons !! You know Popeye, Bugs Bunny and those guys !!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of DCI's best show ideas come from movies: Fiddler on the Roof (SCV), James Bond (Cavaliers), Les Miserables (Garfield Cadets), Spartacus (Phantom Regiment) !!!

I know there are others but these come to mind easier......my favorites !! B)

Les Miz??? Movie???

Les Miz??? Movie???

More times than you can think.

Misérables, Les (1995)

aka "Misérables du vingtième siècle, Les"

Misérables, Les (1935)

Misérables, Les (1982)

Miserables, Les (1978) (TV)

Misérables, Les (1958)

Miserables, Les (1952)

Miserabili, I (1948)

Misérables, Les (1934)

Misérables, Les (1925)

Misérables, Les (1917)

Misérables, Les (1909)

Misérables, Les (1987)

Misérables, Les (1988)

"Misérables, Les" (1967) (mini)

"Misérables, Les" (1972) (mini)

Boassa, El (1944)

aka "Miserables, Les"

Miserables, Los (1943)

aka "Miserables, Les"

I don't see why not, music is music. Its all fair game. To say no to movies is limiting the repotoire somewhat as some of the best music is written for that genre these days and audiences can identify with it.

I'm waiting for a better Pirates of the Carribean, and wouldn't mind seeing someone else try to tackle The Last Samurai (though Mandarins did a great job).

Would love to hear Harry Potter, Batman Begins, and possibly a Danny Elfman show.

For Pirates, check out Mystikal 2004 :doh:

Capital Sound did Danny Elfman last year...to answer the topic question, yes: Cadets 2002...Field of Dreams as a ballad, great show overall

I would LOVE a great Danny Elfman show!

Freelancers did numerous Danny Elfman shows and they were awesome!

I meant THE Les Miz mentioned by ODBC...I know it's been a film many times, as you showed.

I meant the 1917 version !! :doh: :P j/k

Heck, I never thought anybody read anything that I put on here, I feel honored by all the attention. j/k

Edited by ODBC

For Pirates, check out Mystikal 2004

Capital Sound did Danny Elfman last year...to answer the topic question, yes: Cadets 2002...Field of Dreams as a ballad, great show overall

Magic also did Pirates, but in 04. My point is that I've yet to see a show that I really felt captured what it could be. I'm thinking epic, visualize something closer to Madison 1997!

Danny Elfman has been sampled here and there, but it would be so easy to create an awesome show using his melodic dark music.

To answer the OT - I agree that movie scores tend to make up a large part of modern instrumental music. To ignore them as a possible source would be like entering a UFC fight with one arm tied behind your back.

Freelancers did numerous Danny Elfman shows and they were awesome!

Really, I wasn't aware of this. Going to look into that.