Defunct Circuits /Associations

Ny-Penn Ciruit which served Souther Tier of New York and Western Pennsylvania

O-Penn Circuit which served Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania

Bruno

NY -Penn was basically The Lakeview Shoreliners/Imperial Regiment and the Royal Coachmen. The Oswego Black Knights were there one year and I think maybe, Tri Town Cadets. There was a mess of standstill corps like The St. Johnsburg Blue Sabres, Rhythm-ettes, Lake Shore-ettes, and some other small corps.

Don't forget the Penn York Circuit which was all NY corps plus the Ammbassadors/Ascots from PA and the Scarborough Firefighters (later the Seneca Princemen).

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was also rhe NY/Canadian association back in the 60's,I believe it was mainly used to prevent corps jumping during the summer season. I don't remember if they had a championship show,but I remember it kept a few us from jumping from the Cataract Cavaliers,Niagara Falls, NY to the ST.Catherine Chessmen/ Ont., Canada in 66'

There was also the NY fireman's association for parade corps and bands,with regional and state championship parades at firemen conventions.

Many good corps came out of Garden State Circuit.... Many fun times at all the shows!

A lot of the corps that were in the Garden State Circuit were also in the Eastern States Circuit (late 60's to mid 70's) and the National Judges Association. I don't know when NJA started but I think it still exists in some judging capacity today. All the corps came from the Pa, NJ, NY, DE areas.

A lot of the corps that were in the Garden State Circuit were also in the Eastern States Circuit (late 60's to mid 70's) and the National Judges Association. I don't know when NJA started but I think it still exists in some judging capacity today. All the corps came from the Pa, NJ, NY, DE areas.

Yup, I remember competing in Eastern States circuit also. I remember National Judges, there was another judging association that was used, but I cant remember...

The National Judges Association has been judging the Tournament of Bands competitions since the TOB's inception in 1973. The NJA was originally founded in 1960.

Adjudication services to Tournament of Bands are provided by the National Judges Association. Originally founded in 1960, the National Judges Association (NJA) is the primary provider of adjudication services and is the parent group of the Tournament of Bands (TOB).

Thanks for the clarification Jim.

Those were the days huh?

We also had the Greater New England Circuit - attempting to cover - DUH - New England. Each of the circuits also seemed to cater to the level of competition. GNE was the lower echelon level of corps - less likely to be have deep pockets or a large support system, but a viable corps, probably from smaller towns and very tight knit communities.

Corps in Mayflower were usually in another circuit and took turns competiting in each. Same with Eastern Mass and CYO. Eastern Mass was huge in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Corps that had support from their catholic churches, but suddenly were "independent" made EM a huge success - this included corps like the Boston Crusaders, the Beverly Cardinals, the 27th Lancers. In the later half of the 70's, North Star enjoyed tremendous local support by participating in the Eastern Mass circuit, and gave local audiences a treat nearly every weekend.

CYO was an enormous circuit that included drill teams, drum corps and bands - and had 2 or 3 distinct levels of competition. The caveat was that your unit had to be sponsored by a catholic church. Eastern Mass saw a marjeting opportunity, and extending a "band" division to their circuit in 1972. As the church abandon more and more units, CYO eventually accepted non-church related units to increase the competiton for other church sponsored units because Eastern Mass had been supporting competition by "any" unit for a long time.

Bottom line - we had 4 circuits surviving between the late 70's and middle 80's.

My Dad actually judged for NJA for a while. My corps was in both the Garden States and Eastern States circuits. We won Garden State in 1976 and 1977.

We started in the Sounds of Suffolk Circuit, which covered eastern L.I. in the 60's and early 70's. We moved up to the Long Island Circuit in 1970, which had corps like Wynn Center Toppers, Oceanside Legionaires, Babylon Islanders, Brentwood Crusaders, Sayville Blue Jays, etc. Next we went on to the Greater New York Circuit, which featured CMCC Warriors, OLPH Ridgemen, and quite a few Connecticut corps like Trumbull Cadets, Bridgeport PAL, etc. In the mid-70's, the UOEC (United Organization of Eastern Corps) was the predecessor to Drum Corps East, and it had all the top eastern corps, like 27th, Bridgemen, Crossmen, North Star, Royal Brigade, Bengal Lancers, my corps, Muchachoes, etc. I still have the record album from the 1977 UOEC Championships at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport that inlcudes the Bridgemen.

There were a ton of circuits for corps of all levels back in the 60's. You could get 15-20 shows easily without ever leaving a three state area.

My Dad actually judged for NJA for a while. My corps was in both the Garden States and Eastern States circuits. We won Garden State in 1976 and 1977.

We started in the Sounds of Suffolk Circuit, which covered eastern L.I. in the 60's and early 70's. We moved up to the Long Island Circuit in 1970, which had corps like Wynn Center Toppers, Oceanside Legionaires, Babylon Islanders, Brentwood Crusaders, Sayville Blue Jays, etc. Next we went on to the Greater New York Circuit, which featured CMCC Warriors, OLPH Ridgemen, and quite a few Connecticut corps like Trumbull Cadets, Bridgeport PAL, etc. In the mid-70's, the UOEC (United Organization of Eastern Corps) was the predecessor to Drum Corps East, and it had all the top eastern corps, like 27th, Bridgemen, Crossmen, North Star, Royal Brigade, Bengal Lancers, my corps, Muchachoes, etc. I still have the record album from the 1977 UOEC Championships at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport that inlcudes the Bridgemen.

There were a ton of circuits for corps of all levels back in the 60's. You could get 15-20 shows easily without ever leaving a three state area.

A show every weekend in the tri-state area with the season starting around memorial day thru labor day with a show down in wildwood nj..... Watch the tram car please...

A show every weekend in the tri-state area with the season starting around memorial day thru labor day with a show down in wildwood nj..... Watch the tram car please...

Watch the tram car please... b**bs b**bs