Most sacred drum corps entity

Jofus

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I said, "When I marched". I know in later years the song was sung (I think in 1986 Star of Indiana actually joined in at one point). I graduated in 1978, and I guarantee less than 10% of the corps knew the words to Danny Boy at that time. I'm glad the corps encorporated the singing of DB in later years, though. It seems very fitting. How many times did judges tell the staff "You'll never win DCI as long as you play Danny Boy"?? Well, you guys came as close as you can get!!!

I still don't know all the words. And yes we got pretty close. It's funny, I remember singing Danny Boy before shows in 79 but my memory is vague as to how much we did that in the rest of the years I marched. I guess in 80 and 81 we didn't need as much luck as in 79. In 82 (my last year) there were so many changes going on throughout the year my memory is a blur.

At the Normal show in 88 (our worst score ever while I marched-we scored like a 28) trhere were two corps tied for 7th I think, and we decided to flip Roman's hat to see who would go off last. I'm still amazed he let us do it. Proud to say it was my idea.

Roman let you even TOUCH the hat? Daaaang. Only time I've ever seen it off his head is at church...

Is this Buick thing an esoteric sort of thing or can it be explained?

I will explain it...even though I am not a Phantom Regiment alumni.

From what I've heard, it refers to their Baritone/Eupho lines.

They produce a characteristic dark sound that is remeniscent of

a fleet of Buicks. DidI get that right?

I will explain it...even though I am not a Phantom Regiment alumni.

From what I've heard, it refers to their Baritone/Eupho lines.

They produce a characteristic dark sound that is remeniscent of

a fleet of Buicks. DidI get that right?

that's not what I've heard. but what do I know, I'm not an alumni either.

That's why I said, "When I marched". I know in later years the song was sung (I think in 1986 Star of Indiana actually joined in at one point). I graduated in 1978, and I guarantee less than 10% of the corps knew the words to Danny Boy at that time. I'm glad the corps encorporated the singing of DB in later years, though. It seems very fitting. How many times did judges tell the staff "You'll never win DCI as long as you play Danny Boy"?? Well, you guys came as close as you can get!!!

Jim, I'm not questioning anything you've said just to get that straight. You are indeed correct, back in the day - the early 70's and even when I joined in Sept 75 we did not know the words.

In 1980, because we no longer needed to use the same 3 words "What _ _" as in, what are we doing wrong, why are we still in 5th, etc. we actually learned the words because we no longer had to ask that question of why we never got above 4th and yada yada yada. I believe J. McGillicudy taught us the words if I remember correctly.

Anyway, it's really a shame about the starburst as each person was said to be receiving their personal starburst on their plaque however I never wore one - the aussie with the starburst. that is A tradgedy I might add that I never got to wear the regular uniform and the original uniform with additions that my sisters wore.

Individuals starburst was a lovely idea however I believe the plaques were made with extras.

Edited by LancerFi

In 1980, because we no longer needed to use the same 3 words "What _ _" as in, what are we doing wrong, why are we still in 5th, etc. we actually learned the words because we no longer had to ask that question of why we never got above 4th and yada yada yada. I believe J. McGillicudy taught us the words if I remember correctly.

Anyway, it's really a shame about the starburst as each person was said to be receiving their personal starburst on their plaque however I never wore one - the aussie with the starburst. that is A tradgedy I might add that I never got to wear the regular uniform and the original uniform with additions that my sisters wore.

Individuals starburst was a lovely idea however I believe the plaques were made with extras.

But you got a plaque with the starburst right?

I bet that would've been cool for you to have the tassel thing you were as Captain somehow done in that style.