Most sacred drum corps entity

Jofus

What do you think is the most sacred tradition, uniform piece, jacket, song, or whatever that has been used in drum corps history?

For me, it's got to be the Madison aussie. If you didn't know, the aussies kind of carry the memories of the past brothers, kind of like the corps jackets. If you dropped it or misused your aussie, it was considered almost a disgrace to the history of the corps. It was common, this summer at least, to hear someone say "68 years!" if an aussie gets dropped on the ground. You just don't mess with a Scout's aussie. Period.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bones.

Vanguard Star

The Regiment Helmet...

It has magic powers.

The 27th Lancers starburst that we had on our hats. I have one on a plaque with the years I marched.

The only way you could get one was if you marched with the corps more then one year, aging out with the corps.

All hail the 27th Lancer starburst. :laugh: :P

You'll be hard pressed to find any one thing that would universally be claimed as the most sacred in all of drum corps history. Rather, you'll most likely see (and we're starting to see it already in this thread) that each corps has their own set of traditions, slogans, icons, and mystique around them. And when you examine them, you'll see many similarities.

For instance, I've been around drum corps for around 20 years and I never knew that the Madison Scouts aussie was such a big deal. Having never marched there, it obviously doesn't mean a thing to me. But I know what my Crossmen aussie means to me. It is every bit as sacred an object in my drum corps life as what was described by the Scouts alum who spoke of their aussie. Similar meanings. Different corps. Happens often. And there isn't anything wrong with that. Every corps needs those things that they can claim as their own. And while some of the themes surrounding these things may be universal, each corps puts a unique twist on them that distinguishes them as unique to that corps.

Another for instance...the concept of "unity." Every corps has it to a degree. Some corps have invented slogans that encapsulate that concept, others have developed rituals meant to enhance it, etc. At the Crossmen, we are (as far as I know) the only corps to outwardly display our Unity for everyone to see, doing so by clasping each other's hands into the air while exiting (and sometimes entering) the field of competition. Other corps have their own rituals and traditions meant to glorify the virtue of corps unity. We do it in a way that makes our version of it very unique to us. To the best of my knowledge, it is the longest-standing Crossmen tradition there is, going back 30+ years.