G Bugles

t-mac

again i clarify my statement. its not so much tuning to yourself and maintaining a consistent tuning though out the day. its more or less maintaining tuning across a section of sops (for example) then across the whole drum corps.

personally, while i love many hornlines that played G horns, the sound of the Bb lines of the past few years sound more rich and balanced than any G line ever did. not so much based on the talent of the lines because im sure that if some of the older lines played on Bb theyd sound equally as good to any line today but more or less based on their equipment. again this is a personal thing and is based on no knowledge cept what i like and dont like.

No problem from my side. Because I never played Bb in corps I ask a lot of pain in the butt questions from todays members to learn.

Typically techie... asking all those friggin' questions :P

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I just want to say that playing a g bugle one year in Colts and playing a Bb the next in Vanguard was like night and day. The g's were a beast, even after my second year on them. They sounded like overblown tin cans. For all of you out there claiming they're louder or outdoor only or whatever, you're simply wrong. It was a traditional development to the 3 valve g's of the recent past. It had nothing to do with engineering an instrument suitable for outdoors or drum corps. It's just the way it happened. On top of that, the g's weren't made all that well, and a bad Bb trumps a good G. HANDS DOWN. Just a matter of priorities from the manufacturer. Also, the misconception of louder is due to the larger bore... This allows the feeling of a more free-blowing instrument, less resistance, etc. Even with the "ease" of play (sorta, not really, no) the amount of tuning nightmares and time to properly adjust makes them a total waste of time at this point. Bb's are the way to go. A Bb line sounds better than a G line for MANY reasons, not just because the horns are better quality. Oh, and they're just as loud(see SCV 04). Sorry old guys.

We need the Mythbusters for this one.....

Outstanding reply!!! LOL

Oh, and they're just as loud(see SCV 04). Sorry old guys.

No arguement on a lot of those points. But on this one.

Ummm...... wrong.

Seen a lot of both. Played on both. And that statement is just untrue.

Oh, and they're just as loud(see SCV 04). Sorry old guys.

You made some decent points, but then you had to go there? That won't win you many points or arguments.

I believe that corps on G bugles were louder. But I would argue that it is not due to the key, but rather how brass lines are taught. The symphonic sound is what the lines are taught these days, resulting in less loud volumes. The older corps played with a more wide open sound. The loudest two corps I believe I ever heard were Madison Scouts in 1988 or Phantom Regiment in 1993. During standstill Blue Devils in 1998 were the loudest I can recall in that format. And yes, I saw Vanguard in 2004. Nice show and corps - but not overly loud in my personal history of drum corps viewing.

I've got a good example of the difference.

Listen to the beginning of SCV when they played New Era Metropolis (was that '03?) when they start with the "alarm" going off. Pretty big, dark, powerful stuff.

Then listen to the end of '92 from the bottle dance to the end (the whole show for that matter) and let me know what differences you hear.

I'm not saying one is better than the other or attributing anything specific to the reason behind such a difference, just saying that there is definitely a difference.

I've got a good example of the difference.

Listen to the beginning of SCV when they played New Era Metropolis (was that '03?) when they start with the "alarm" going off. Pretty big, dark, powerful stuff.

Then listen to the end of '92 from the bottle dance to the end (the whole show for that matter) and let me know what differences you hear.

I'm not saying one is better than the other or attributing anything specific to the reason behind such a difference, just saying that there is definitely a difference.

So you're saying that G hornlines didnt watch the drum major and had major timing issues???!!! :P I kid, yuck, yuck, yuck.

.... Sorry old guys.

No problem junior. :P

I just want to say that playing a g bugle one year in Colts and playing a Bb the next in Vanguard was like night and day. The g's were a beast, even after my second year on them. They sounded like overblown tin cans. For all of you out there claiming they're louder or outdoor only or whatever, you're simply wrong. It was a traditional development to the 3 valve g's of the recent past. It had nothing to do with engineering an instrument suitable for outdoors or drum corps. It's just the way it happened. On top of that, the g's weren't made all that well, and a bad Bb trumps a good G. HANDS DOWN. Just a matter of priorities from the manufacturer. Also, the misconception of louder is due to the larger bore... This allows the feeling of a more free-blowing instrument, less resistance, etc. Even with the "ease" of play (sorta, not really, no) the amount of tuning nightmares and time to properly adjust makes them a total waste of time at this point. Bb's are the way to go. A Bb line sounds better than a G line for MANY reasons, not just because the horns are better quality. Oh, and they're just as loud(see SCV 04). Sorry old guys.

What if someone prefers the ensemble sound of a G hornline and finds it more musically appealing?

• Like 1