Technique Topic

MHSmirage

So I think this board provides an excellent chance for us to open discussion and learn what works for other folks. I know I'm always interested in learning more about technique for rifle and sabre and thought we could start a weekly discussion.

For the first topic:

Wrist strengthening exercise. What do you do to build muscle and flexability for those pesky flourishes and tosses?

I have a flourish exercise that is done with a straight arm during the flourish, and you do a low, mid and high level flourish. All are done from the middle of the bolt for the lefts and neck for the rights. Sabre is the same way except rights are from midblade and lefts are from the hilt.

I have seen flourish warmups done with the ends of the rifle before, but don't know or remember how they are approched.

I'm curious as to other techniques.....discuss and learn! :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I think this board provides an excellent chance for us to open discussion and learn what works for other folks. I know I'm always interested in learning more about technique for rifle and sabre and thought we could start a weekly discussion.

For the first topic:

Wrist strengthening exercise. What do you do to build muscle and flexability for those pesky flourishes and tosses?

I have a flourish exercise that is done with a straight arm during the flourish, and you do a low, mid and high level flourish. All are done from the middle of the bolt for the lefts and neck for the rights. Sabre is the same way except rights are from midblade and lefts are from the hilt.

I have seen flourish warmups done with the ends of the rifle before, but don't know or remember how they are approched.

I'm curious as to other techniques.....discuss and learn! :)

Breakdancing. It does wonders for wrist strength.

flourishes are good for building strength in the rist and making it a bit more flexible. our exercise is a bit different. we do them backwards (where the tip leads as opposed to the butt) as well as the normal way. they are VERY akward at first, but really do wonders. we also do flourishes on the left from the neck, not the boldt. i've seen it been done both ways, i just think it's easier in the neck.

We do flourishes from the neck on both sides. Whic means we turn the rifle around for the left. That way it's weighted the same as the right side.

If the students understand the difference between an open grip and a closed grip and the difference between a relaxed wrist and a squeeze wrist, as well as when to use each one, that's a big step.

in addition to flourishes, we do a flip exercise. this works on wrist strength and also catch positions.

starting at a right flat.. (with no dip) do a single flip to left flat. from there (with no dip) do a single flip to right port. holding that position flip to left port. then flip to a dip position, and then flip to the opposite dip position.

these are four counut structures. flip one catch 2. hold 3 & 4. this really works the wrist strength but more importantly hand placement on the weapons for tosses and catches.

• 1 year later...

do today's guard staff even teach "technique"? :rolleyes:

Edited by dugg

I'll admit that for several years I did not teach technique beyond making sure the students could do drop spins and tosses. After they got that down (usually after 2-3 weeks) we went straight into learning work.

In 2006 I woke up and changed that habit real quick. Just yesterday, in fact, while in warm up at a contest, we did drop spins and double time on both hands and then review tosses as well as went through our across the floor exercise before moving on to portions of the program. The girls were able to focus a bit more on the work and had a great run!

I'm not sure why I choose to NOT stress technique - I'll blame it on young age and just plain being lazy. Change is possible! : )

Technique? We don't need no stinkin technique.

in addition to flourishes, we do a flip exercise. this works on wrist strength and also catch positions.

starting at a right flat.. (with no dip) do a single flip to left flat. from there (with no dip) do a single flip to right port. holding that position flip to left port. then flip to a dip position, and then flip to the opposite dip position.

these are four counut structures. flip one catch 2. hold 3 & 4. this really works the wrist strength but more importantly hand placement on the weapons for tosses and catches.

that's what I do. I probably even learned it at Classics ;-).

I'm not a big fan of flourish exercises, although I do try to teach them. I do a lot of "wristy" work, so that helps stretch and strengthen wrists. I do some one-handed exercises also increases strength and wrist flexibility.