Is Drum Corps "School?"

We all agree learning takes place...  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps "School?"

• Yes, members are students and instructors are faculty.
    • No, members are memgers and instructors are instructors, that's it.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Open schools."

Placement is not a goal? Are you telling me that Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Cadets, Blue Coats, Blue Devils and the rest have no interest in winning? Are you telling me that when they design their shows, their is no consideration of what the judges are looking for?

How do the drum corps schools (oh wait, they don't call themselves schools, do they) measure the learning goals of their students then? How do they know if the lesson plans have met their objectives?

Never said 'no interest'...I would just never set a placement as a goal. It's a possible outcome of meeting goals, but it's not a goal in and of itself, IMO.

There are three factors used to determine a placement....

How well you perform as a corps

How well the OTHER groups perform

What the judges think

You as a corps only control the first.

I tell my band kids that each year during the competitive season, and it holds true for corps as well, IMO.

The goals we set are geared around performance improvements of our group...including how well we as staff do.

Never said 'no interest'...I would just never set a placement as a goal. It's a possible outcome of meeting goals, but it's not a goal in and of itself, IMO.

There are three factors used to determine a placement....

How well you perform as a corps

How well the OTHER groups perform

What the judges think

You as a corps only control the first.

I tell my band kids that each year during the competitive season, and it holds true for corps as well, IMO.

The goals we set are geared around performance improvements of our group...including how well we as staff do.

Well, you said, "I don't see drum corps goals being measured by placement..." Now you say that you would not set placement as a goal. I suggest that the corps do set placement as one of the goals. The corps want to compete and win. Otherwise, the BOD would eliminate the competitive aspect of the activity and simply tour "The Best of Brass and Percussion Field Shows" around the country. Yet, they do want to compete and they do want to win. That makes it one of their goals.

Well, you said, "I don't see drum corps goals being measured by placement..." Now you say that you would not set placement as a goal. I suggest that the corps do set placement as one of the goals. The corps want to compete and win. Otherwise, the BOD would eliminate the competitive aspect of the activity and simply tour "The Best of Brass and Percussion Field Shows" around the country. Yet, they do want to compete and they do want to win. That makes it one of their goals.

I don't see it as a goal, and I would hope that corps don't either. We're just giving our opinions; that's mine.

Yes, everyone wants to compete and win/place high/whatever.

I just don't see it as a goal. It's a possible outcome of reaching their goals. It might even be part of the measurement for some corps. But IMO it's not a goal.

Oh, well, we disagree as usual! :P

So, anytime someone learns something from someone else, they should be considered a student, formally?

Considering the two big points here:

1) It fits the definition of the word student as provided in the dictionary

2) The dictionary is a collection of the meanings and usages of words in the language I speak

I'd say the answer there is pretty darn obvious. Yes, they are a student. They aren't a student of a university; they aren't what our country would term a "full-time student," but they are students. Why is it so hard to believe the definition of the words?

They are students. They are members. They are kids. They are young adults. They are musicians. They are athletic. They are lots of things. The corps can call them what they want. We, as fans, can call them what we want. Nobody is being forced to call them something they don't want to. Everybody wins. :)

What are we arguing about again?? Is it June yet?

They are students. They are members. They are kids. They are young adults. They are musicians. They are athletic. They are lots of things. The corps can call them what they want. We, as fans, can call them what we want. Nobody is being forced to call them something they don't want to. Everybody wins. :)

What are we arguing about again?? Is it June yet?

Hmmm... OK well here's something interesting. You said that the marching members could be called many things. But you basically called yourself a "fan" and nothing else. If marching members are students and instructors are faculty, what are the people who buy tickets and t-shirts? Are they really fans?

I'm not a "girl scouts fan" if I buy a couple boxes of thin mints each year.

I'm not a fan of St. Whats-his-name catholic church if I go to their parish festival in June and buy admission tickets and some elephant ears.

Am I a "fan" of these academic institutions known as drum corps? Or just a supporter, booster, benefactor, or patron?

I'm not directing this question solely at rut roh, it's to everyone...

Drum corps is a competitive performance activity. One must learn in order to be successful at it. Do Olympic skaters call their coaches teachers? Do their coaches call the skaters students?

I do not know about that; but the old compulsory figures (similar to the old inspections <**> ) were called 'school figures' before they were cut out of competitions.

Now...on this question,....you beg to ask....(DON"T SAY IT CARTMAN!!!)...

"What would Brian Boytano do?????" b**bs

Am I a "fan" of these academic institutions known as drum corps? Or just a supporter, booster, benefactor, or patron?

You're a fan. You're a supporter. You're a booster. You're a benefactor. You're a patron. You're a customer. You're an admirer. You're a lot of things, and all the definitions fit. What's more, you can call yourself a fan if you want to, or call yourself a supporter if you want to. You can even call yourself BOTH if you want to. You can even say that you're all of these things but you'd rather just call yourself a fan. And nobody can force you to call yourself something you don't want to call yourself. It's a beautiful thing. :)

I don't see it as a goal, and I would hope that corps don't either. We're just giving our opinions; that's mine.

Yes, everyone wants to compete and win/place high/whatever.

I just don't see it as a goal. It's a possible outcome of reaching their goals. It might even be part of the measurement for some corps. But IMO it's not a goal.

Oh, well, we disagree as usual! :P

So Mike, are you telling me that when the designers are creating a show, they are not considering what the judges want to see and trying to maximize that? You'll have a hard time convincing me of that. Scott Stewart tried to do that and look where it got the Scouts and him.