Is Drum Corps "School?"

We all agree learning takes place...  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps "School?"

• Yes, members are students and instructors are faculty.
    • No, members are memgers and instructors are instructors, that's it.

I've seen it used in DCA as well.

Ha-ha!

My "teacher" is also a manager at a pet store.

Of the previous "teachers" I've had, one also runs cameras for a television station, one sells jerseys to the local professional hockey team, one runs a real estate office, and one sells slot machines. All of them held these jobs while being "teachers" as well. Of that whole list, only one has a degree in education. Outside of my corps, where I am apparently a "student", I teach English.

I am in no way saying that I have received sub-par instruction from these people. But applying this terminology to my corps amuses me.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the Interlochen Summer Music Camp...they call their staff 'Faculty' and the attendees are called 'Students'.

I don't know about them so I cannot comment on whether or not I think their use of those terms is appropriate.

I don't know about them so I cannot comment on whether or not I think their use of those terms is appropriate.

Ah... that explains a lot, and certainly explains the gap.

Almost every kid in drum corps these days is not only familiar with Interlochen, Aspen, Tanglewood, etc. ... but are also weighing thier participation in these instead of drum corps.

If you aren't familiar with these... then it does illustrate the gap between performers 20-25+ years ago with now.

Ah... that explains a lot, and certainly explains the gap.

Almost every kid in drum corps these days is not only familiar with Interlochen, Aspen, Tanglewood, etc. ... but are also weighing thier participation in these instead of drum corps.

If you aren't familiar with these... then it does illustrate the gap between performers 20-25+ years ago with now.

Son, I was attending concerts at Tanglewood before you were born.

Your attitude here, and in previous posts, regarding performers from 20-25+ years ago and the ones now shows why you defend the corps for what they are doing. As lancerlady said, maybe you need to learn the concept of respect.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

Look at the Interlochen Summer Music Camp...they call their staff 'Faculty' and the attendees are called 'Students'.

I just checked it out. They have a high school music program. They are formally a music educational institution that provides summer programs as well. So, I would agree that the terms faculty and students do fit in this case.

I just checked it out. They have a high school music program. They are formally a music educational institution that provides summer programs as well. So, I would agree that the terms faculty and students do fit in this case.

They provide many programs in the arts, not just music. Theater, dance and visual arts, for example. I wonder if all of the faculty are teachers, or if some are professionals in the field. They also have adult programs as well.

I guess it's clear that on one is going to change anyone elses opinion on this topic...and the corps themselves will call themselves what they wish, as they should.

They provide many programs in the arts, not just music. Theater, dance and visual arts, for example. I wonder if all of the faculty are teachers, or if some are professionals in the field. They also have adult programs as well.

I guess it's clear that on one is going to change anyone elses opinion on this topic...and the corps themselves will call themselves what they wish, as they should.

I noticed that they provide a number of programs, sounds really nice.

I noticed that they provide a number of programs, sounds really nice.

I know a woman who teaches percussion there...for quite a few years...and this year as well. She said it's a great experience. Kim got her doctorate in percussion performance at Rutgers here in NJ and taught the HS band I now arrange for...she was my daughter's private teacher for a year. She was in Suncoast Sounds pit one year in the mid 80's.

I went to Interlochen the summer before I started marching, it was awesome. Yes they have an arts academy that students attend as their actual school, during the fall/winter/spring. And then they have their summer camp type things.

I see Interlochen and any other summer music camp as a completely different animal than drum corps. I saw them as very different back when I was doing them, and I see them as different now. At a summer music camp, they teach you. You learn from them. At drum corps, you perform, you make the corps better, you help everyone else around you get better because you're committed to them and they're committed to you. Yes, you learn and they teach you in drum corps. Yes, at a summer music camp you perform. Although there certainly wasn't much of a "we're all in this together making everyone better" kind of feeling. In fact, you (I) secretly wanted the trumpet players sitting ahead of you to not do well so you could move up in the section! I never had such a feeling in drum corps, who does? Nobody is that self centered in drum corps, everyone wants everyone to do well! The 3rd trumpets want the tubas to be awesome and the bottom bass drum wants the flag line to be awesome, and the pit wants the mellos to be awesome. At Interlochen I didn't really care that the guy playing the snare drum on Nabucco was screwing it up. I was there to make myself better. And most other people were there to make themselves better too.

In short, at Interlochen I felt like a trumpet student, music student, whatever. In drum corps, I felt like a performer, performing at paid gigs (yes, the corps got paid for them, so from that stanpoint it's a paid gig) with fellow members who were focused on the same common goal as I was: making our corps great.