Is Drum Corps "School?"

We all agree learning takes place...  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps "School?"

• Yes, members are students and instructors are faculty.
    • No, members are memgers and instructors are instructors, that's it.

You just said why not call them instructors? Instructors provide instruction, no? Well, sorry to tell you, but:

Tuition - 3 : the price of or payment for instruction

Tuition is a viable term for tour fees. It isn't only associated with colleges.

Same with:

Student - 2 : one who studies : an attentive and systematic observer <a student of politics>

Once again, no mention of a school in the definition. Get on with your life. The terms are legit, and you're just making yourself look pretentious by assuming that you are worthy of critiquing the meaningless aspects of a corps' operations.

Hmmmm, seems like you left out the number 1 definition...

Student - a person formally engaged in learning, esp. one enrolled in a school or college; pupil, Random House Unabridged Dictionary

Student - One who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

Tuition - the charge or fee for instruction, as at a private school or a college or university, Random House Unabridged Dictionary

Tuition - A fee for instruction, especially at a formal institution of learning, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

These are all #1 definintions. Notice anything in common? There use with formal education at formal institutes of education.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, seems like you left out the number 1 definition...

Student - a person formally engaged in learning, esp. one enrolled in a school or college; pupil, Random House Unabridged Dictionary

Student - One who is enrolled or attends classes at a school, college, or university, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

Tuition - the charge or fee for instruction, as at a private school or a college or university, Random House Unabridged Dictionary

Tuition - A fee for instruction, especially at a formal institution of learning, The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

These are all #1 definintions. Notice anything in common? There use with formal education at formal institutes of education.

Then how do you explain the fact that you yourself marched in the Madison Scouts ALUMNI Corps??

The primary definition of alumni is "a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university."

It also has other meanings. And why is that so? Because people in all walks of life have developed usages for those words that have aspects which lie outside the primary definition, without altering the basic integrity of that definition. Accepting that fact, if you can march in the Madison Scouts Alumni Corps, and you have no problems with it being called that, then what by god is the big deal if the Carolina Crown or some other corps wants to refer to their kids as students??

(I find it funny that the secondary definition of alumni is " a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate." Sometimes drum corps feels that way...inmates at the asylum! Gotta love it.) :P

Edited by rut-roh

So Mike, are you telling me that when the designers are creating a show, they are not considering what the judges want to see and trying to maximize that? You'll have a hard time convincing me of that. Scott Stewart tried to do that and look where it got the Scouts and him.

Where do you get that idea? Of course a designer is trying to design a show that can do well competitively when everything comes together.

Then how do you explain the fact that you yourself marched in the Madison Scouts ALUMNI Corps??

The primary definition of alumni is "a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university."

It also has other meanings. And why is that so? Because people in all walks of life have developed usages for those words that have aspects which lie outside the primary definition, without altering the basic integrity of that definition. Accepting that fact, if you can march in the Madison Scouts Alumni Corps, and you have no problems with it being called that, then what by god is the big deal if the Carolina Crown or some other corps wants to refer to their kids as students??

(I find it funny that the secondary definition of alumni is " a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate." Sometimes drum corps feels that way...inmates at the asylum! Gotta love it.) :P

Well, I didn't name the corps (but it sure seemed like it could be an asylum :sshh: b**bs ). I would have no problem it they called it the Madison Scouts Former Marching Member Corps. How about the Madison Old Fogie Scouts or Senior Scouts? Anyway, you are right to say I never considered the term "alumni" as being inappropriate.

So folks, you are going to see something rare. I am admitting defeat in this particular debate. It still doesn't sound right, but if I am OK with "alumni" whose primary definition is academically related but broader in its secondary definitions, there is no logical reason to hold a different standard for "student" or "faculty." I cannot see myself using those terms and I do see myslef cringing when others do, but that is my own issue to deal with.

Where do you get that idea? Of course a designer is trying to design a show that can do well competitively when everything comes together.

So it is a goal, to do well competitively. What is the standard for judging if you have done well competitively? Placement compared to those you compete with. That makes it a goal. Not the only goal, maybe not even the primary goal. But a goal nonetheless. Scott Stewart always told us to forget about the judges and the "numbers." It was not the goal of the Scouts to win. I remember hearing John Jorgenson giving an interview to someone in Minnesota while the Scouts were praciticing there in 1986. He told the reporter that the Scouts show is designed to entertain and it will entertain. He went further to say that the Blue Devils show was designed to win and it will win. Ironically, I think the BD 1986 show is one of the best ever, and you know how much I like to be entertained. Anyway, even with a staff deemphasizing placements, we were well aware of where we stood and we wanted to win. Scott did work to have DCI recognize the aspects he felt were important and have corps rewarded for them. The others did not see that vision and did not have the scoring system recognize what he wanted. He still had his corps do his thing and we saw what happened, a crowd thrilling corps that went down in placement seven straight years. The management decided that the corps needed to place a higher value on doing well competitively (that's a goal) and brought in a new director.

I left those definitions out because they were the ones you were already using. You already knew those definitions so you didn't need to be told them. Like I said, you are using one definition as if it is the only. But. it. isn't.

I think the people who do the marching/performing should be called prumples and the people who don't march should be called dumples. And the green stuff prumples pay to march under the guidance of the dumples should be called scrumples.

I think the people who do the marching/performing should be called prumples and the people who don't march should be called dumples. And the green stuff prumples pay to march under the guidance of the dumples should be called scrumples.

But by referring to them all this way, you're implying that drum corps is a slibbity-sloo. Do you really believe that drum corps is a slibbity-sloo?

But by referring to them all this way, you're implying that drum corps is a slibbity-sloo. Do you really believe that drum corps is a slibbity-sloo?

In the strictest definition no, but due to the common vernacular I would have to say it fits. :P

Why do you call drum corps slibbity-sloo? Have you ever read a dictionary!?!?!?! Just look up the definition of slibbity-sloo, and you'll see it's not the right term to use for drum corps.

dictionary.com

Slibbey-Sloo [sLIHB-it-ee-sloo]: That which is not drum corps.