Cavaliers

You can tell from by banners that I love the Cavaliers. I've watched them rehearse on a few occasions, have met a few of them, emailed Jeff etc. I've always found them to be a great group of poeple.

However, I was disapointed when I found out about their retreat behaviour. It's not a big issue, but I was disapointed.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've met quite a few classless individuals from other corps. Cavaliers are no different, but I'm not going to label the entire organization.

Jolly Ranchers are fun and I see no problems with them throwing them. However I hope they would respect a corps that wishes them to not include them during retreat.

I've had Cadets in uniforms speak very negatively in my presence. I've seen a Blue Devil walk right through our horn stack. I've stood side by side with a group of Kilties as they puffed away on their cigars and told humorous adult jokes.

Do I think any of these organizations are classless? HECK NO! I won't let one or 2 or 3 individuals ruin my respect and admiration for that group. This whole argument sounds personal.

ill tell you whats disappointing, when every time you try to make freinds theirs some kid who thinks your trying to make fun of him and tries to pick a fight. man if somebody throws a jolly rancher at you its because hes trying to give you freakin candy. as much as you think its somebody in green trying to be a dick, its really because hes hoping you catch it and put it in your mouth. as much as you think your being made fun of if you would just play along you might have some fun.

theres been alot of times i can remember when sombody directly across the line is at attention being all hard, and yet he/she will still open their hand behind their back so we could covertly hand 'em a few. it was actually a great way to make freinds. in fact if i remember right, coats always had cream savers(i think i got beaned with one once), and the PR bassline had cookies every now and then when we lined up.

i think its terrible that you guys dont get retreat anymore, when we did it for every show their were constant antics from everybody(everybody who wanted to have fun that is), im sure theres people out there that were threatened with gunther(anybody?... hmm? im pretty sure that was its name), i remember hearing people in other corps singing random songs. vanguard was always hard as hell and i remember always trying to see if we could get them to even acknowledge our existance, but i always got the feeling that they totally laughed their heads off at us once we both got off the field. then there were the always the kids who totally had no fun in other groups. i never understood them.

oh and thats not "back in the day" im talking about 3 years ago.

*EDIT* ps, i mean wait. none of this ever happended. i always stood at attention like a good boy. i never did anything. nothing. ever. in fact i didnt even march.... anywhere. im from an island. far away. on mars. whats drumcorps? ah? rancheros? me no speaka americano....

Edited by karl E. Hungus

ill tell you whats disappointing, when every time you try to make freinds theirs some kid who thinks your trying to make fun of him and tries to pick a fight. man if somebody throws a jolly rancher at you its because hes trying to give you freakin candy. as much as you think its somebody in green trying to be a dick, its really because hes hoping you catch it and put it in your mouth. as much as you think your being made fun of if you would just play along you might have some fun.

theres been alot of times i can remember when sombody directly across the line is at attention being all hard, and yet he/she will still open their hand behind their back so we could covertly hand 'em a few. it was actually a great way to make freinds. in fact if i remember right, coats always had cream savers(i think i got beaned with one once), and the PR bassline had cookies every now and then when we lined up.

i think its terrible that you guys dont get retreat anymore, when we did it for every show their were constant antics from everybody(everybody who wanted to have fun that is), im sure theres people out there that were threatened with gunther(anybody?... hmm? im pretty sure that was its name), i remember hearing people in other corps singing random songs. vanguard was always hard as hell and i remember always trying to see if we could get them to even acknowledge our existance, but i always got the feeling that they totally laughed their heads off at us once we both got off the field. then there were the always the kids who totally had no fun in other groups. i never understood them.

oh and thats not "back in the day" im talking about 3 years ago.

*EDIT* ps, i mean wait. none of this ever happended. i always stood at attention like a good boy. i never did anything. nothing. ever.

Maybe you should respect different corps traditions as to how they approach retreat? You aren't really helping your cause when you lambast corps that "don't have any fun". Jeez, maybe some corps have fun being hard as hell. Not everyone was meant to be a clown. Honestly, the Cavaliers can do whatever they want, but when you come on here and actually say, "We're just having fun, why can't you guys be like us, that's the only way to have fun," that just speaks of arrogance.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Oops is right....this is a Box I rant. <**>

Very classless to be bringing this up. And hopefully this thread will be closed shortly. This is absolutely uncalled for. <**>

Hhhmmm, are The Cavaliers exempt from this kind of criticism? I have seen much worse things said about other corps and their members.

Man . . . this thread makes me wish I'd marched when we still had retreat.

finals night just isn't enough!

So many stories from past years.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

All the Cavaliers I met while I marched were cool on their own. However, at retreat- classless, unequivocal dicks. There is a reason that whenever you see someone on here talking about the Cavaliers as a "classy" corps, it is usually from somone who never marched (or at least never stood next to them at retreat).

if someone threw candy at me, I'd eat it

w/Stp:

<usual disclaimers>