Cavaliers

Anybody miss retreats yet? :P

I know some griped about having to do them, more sleep, etc. But the nightly retreat was one of the most fun times of a show for me.

The sad/funny thing is watching some of the kids now in their once a year one. They look kinda lost since they only do one a season.

P.S. bug as big as birds at retreat are not limited to Wisc. I saw some in Missouri and in Houston one night the bats were swooping right over us.. good times.. :)

Edited by WWonka

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main difference is, the baton twirling and circus act was right up front taking away from retreat and scores. Have you EVER seen a jolly rancher being tossed from one line to another back in the day of retreat? I never did.

Surely you're not saying any behavior is okay so long as it can't be seen by the audience. Conversely, surely you're not saying some behaviors are not okay only because they can be seen by the audience.

I'd say disrespect is disrespect whether observed or not. Throwing candy within the corps is that corps' business. Throwing candy at another corps intrudes on that other corps' right to determine its own disposition. That's disrespect, in my book.

HH

We did....and, nevermind. I miss retreat. I miss marching. I miss the 80's.........sigh.

DCM retreats were the best.

~G~

G,

I wonder if I ever threw candy at you :P Shoot I miss the 80's too dang it LOL

This is a tough crowd, a Cavalier can't even have fun these days...sheesh :bleah:

I told a joke to someone I was standing next to from Boston once (before going on the field to play the Canadian Fanfare for American Champions). I didn't know the guy, but it was pretty clear that they weren't allowed to look at you, let alone talk.

So I told him a few funny jokes, and he had quite a time keeping a straight face.

I actually found him later and we became friends- he thought the jokes were pretty funny.

If I'd had any candy on me at the time, I definitely would have offered it to him.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

aw.

~>conner

I marched Regiment in the 80s and the Cavies were a wild bunch, but never had issues with any of the things in this thread.

If this is a recent thing I would not be aware but in the 10+ years I was involved in corps as a member and an instructor, I never had any issues with the Cavies.

There are always isolated incidents. Can remember times when BD, Madison, Star, and pretty mcuh any corps did not compose themselves properly. More often than not it is individuals, not the corps in general.

Such is life.

We were wild, but people were less uptight back then than they are now. I happen to enjoy hanging out with the guard members of phantom, one which one is going to be marching with me this year in the Renegades. We laugh our heads off when we talk about the things we did when we hung out. So much fun......and no tight bums like there are now.

do you think it is acceptable to walk around town and throw candy at people, because some will be friendly about it? the test isn't how the receiving corps will act after the behavior. the test is whether the behavior itself is disrespectful to a reasonable person.

Because corps members that throw candy, objects, etc. at retreat are 98% more likely to throw candy at a random passer-by on the street.

Oops is right....this is a Box I rant. <**>

Very classless to be bringing this up. And hopefully this thread will be closed shortly. This is absolutely uncalled for. <**>

I think it is uncalled for you to call this "uncalled for." He is addressing a point to which he sees a wrong doing, and I don't know why you bringing that point up would be classless.

Because corps members that throw candy, objects, etc. at retreat are 98% more likely to throw candy at a random passer-by on the street.

ROFL :bleah: