89 Cadets, the distortion boxes the hornline did during the two drum breaks. Freaking amazing affect, and it's never been done by anyone before or since that year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been lots of LITTLE things in a show that are so simple it's amazing and lots of times, they can be overlooked. Share some of your fav's here.
The "play your neighbor's horn" section of Cadets 2000.

Best. Show. Ever.

Hahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahaah etc.

First one that came to mind by the way, at least right now, was that part of BD's show from this year before the Allegro Impetuoso part in the closer (right before the crab stepping/amazingly uniform body section) where the drumline's sticking doesn't match with the music at all. I think the Cadets did it this year also? Their sticks are moving in 16ths (I think) but they're actually playing isolated hits. Ridiculously well done.

One interesting thing to listen for musically that people may not have noticed, is the bass drum part in the Bluecoats show this past year after the power chord in the closer. It's around where the contras are playing their original melody in the show, and marching in half time. The basses are playing the pit part that starts and closes the show....I hadn't ever heard it until around halfway through last season when I marched by the drumline on the way to perform in Denton. If you can't hear it normally, it's much more distinguishable with the percussion audio selected on the DVD. Definitely worth checking out.

Apparently no GE moment will ever top the environment during the Phantom '94 ballad at finals, from what I've heard.

Cavies with the worm drill thing in the mid 80s (can't remember the name for it)

1986 and 1987 in the finale of "Variations on a Korean Folk Song." It was referred to as "the dragon."

Apparently no GE moment will ever top the environment during the Phantom '94 ballad at finals, from what I've heard.

Read the final story in this Fanfare column.

What hit me about the effect af the DCI World Championship Division I Finals, which I wrote about in the DCI CD liner notes, was that the corps ended facing towards a glorious full moon.

Edited by Michael Boo

I've always enjoyed the various kinetic body sculpturing the Blue Knights have done over the past several years...the stag leaps, squats, jumping, rolling, etc.

Anytime the Madison Scouts push a company front across the field.

Pretty much every little thing in Cavies 06. Like when the trumpets do the record skip, the battery skips also with some cool stick moves. I also like when they brush their shoulders off with a stiff, mechanical-like hand. That show is full of cool little moments B)

Blue Devils 1991 - The double flags attatched to the uniforms looked amazing from high-cam; especially with the crazy/chaotic moves and music they had. They literally looked like doves.

SCV 1991 - Helicopter Drumline and GIANT flag at end

Cavaliers 1992 - The fact that finals was on a special date of a historic battle the show was based on - the two seperate batteries during the drum feature

VK 1992 - Clothes flying behind the backdrop where "Elmer Fudd" and The Fat Lady go - ...basically everything else

Crossmen 1992/1993 - The "?" with Earth in the center of the dot

Phantom 1993 - helmets outlining a seperate form during Fire Of Eternal Glory

Cadets 1993 - Beginning of Ballet Sacra; backfield battery at completely different tempo with the hornline...and magically end up together somehow :worthy:

Madison Scouts 1994 - Special Drums used in Cuban Overture - The dancing in the drum feature

Madison Scouts 1997 - The simplistic yet very cool "waves" move in the ballad - The drunk pirates and the water in the bottles - The rotating Pirate Battle Cymbal Rack of Death - The sword in the ground, pirate king's bow, C. Front, 20+ second hold, Pirate Flag and "Surprise" - The Pit Members with cymbals hopping on the keyboards to play the last notes

Cadets 1998 - Quick Flag changes in the back right corner of the field at the end of the drum feature

Glassmen 1999 - Unison section at end of show with solo saber

Read the final story in this Fanfare column.

What hit me about the effect af the DCI World Championship Division I Finals, which I wrote about in the DCI CD liner notes, was that the corps ended facing towards a glorious full moon.

Wow.