Madison Scouts Alumni Project

I would Just like to say that the madison scouts alumni corps really made me think about what im doing (drum corps) in a different way. The scouts played the final note, and as the crowd was going absolutely insane, i look up at the jumbotron to see the camera zoomed up on one of the scouts faces. I looked at his eyes, gazing up at the audience, he looked like he could have cried, and I felt the same way. I cant imagine what its like to go back to an activity decades after you thought it was over for you, and experience all the glory one more time, this must have been one of the happiest moments of these guy's lives, reliving the experience of being gods.

I'm pretty sure that im not alone, but personally for me, I know that I didn't always appreciate my drum corps experience, sometimes I took it for granted, I wanted to go home, i didnt want to wake up for rehearsal, or do that #### retreat. I guess I just wish I savored every moment, because I will probably never get to re-live them. And summer is just around the corner, so anybody marching this summer, I know it can get painful, and tedious, and frustrating, but just remember that this is probably the best time of your life, always make the best of it. It's like childhood, something great that you just cant have back. (yes you can staff, or be in senior corps i know....but i hope you understand what im trying to say)

I would like to hear from anyone that performed this last summer with the madison alumni, on how it felt to relive that moment. And just wanted to let you know that your performance really moved me....thats what it is all about

Edited by corpsismylife

Thank you so much for posting... and for the nice comments.

I guess I can sum it up in it's most BASIC essence by saying: Imagine being given the chance to go back and do something you did in your

youth, and have it be as close to being the same as it was as possible. If even for the briefest of moments, would you go back and do it?

The many many factors that had to come together just right, and the effort of a few dedicated coordinators (if you will) and a several more

working closely with them, made that whole thing possible. It was their effort, and then the assembling of the corps itself, that made it happen.

A lot of us said as we wound up to that Friday night peformance that "if we only had one more week!" we could have been even more polished.

As it was, an incredible amount of improvement happened in just a relatively short period. It was certainly different than when I was 20... my

body wasn't as able, my ability to memorize music was not the same, my stamina was certainly a little less than 20 years ago.

But the one thing that was the same... and just fell right back into place as if only a month had passed... was the ability to be a drum corps

member. It was as if not so much time had gone by, and being out on familiar practice fields that I had been on 20+ years earlier, seeing

faces I had been with 20+ years ago, hearing the same voices and in essence doing the same things after so much time had passed was

surreal in and of itself. The journey as a whole was one big reliving of a time gone by for me, culminating with a chance to be in front of a

crowd again as big as a DCI championship crowd.

To answer you question ... the actual performance itself was dream-like. It went by in a second. I was seeing both the crowd, and the corps itself

from the inside looking out, and that was really cool. I wish I could be more specific than just "really cool" ... but it was just like doing something

you once did a long time ago, and having it NOT be a dream.

There is a shot on the DVD of a few of the guys after the performance... and the one that is most representative of how I felt after our show is the

soprano player they show twice... once just looking forward, and agin a few seconds later looking at the crowd, hearing the cheering, and giving in

to a small smile and slight nod, quite possibly saying to himself "Oh yeah... YES!! There it is!! That feeling of being a Madison Scout. That feeling of

being a drum corps performer!"

It was nothing short of a miracle to be given the chance again to do that, and I wish that feeling on everyone who ever did drum corps at any level

and takes advantage of the opportunity to do it again. The Kingsmen this summer, and in 2008 the Cavaliers, will be in for emotional heaven.

Edited by GGarrett

Thank you! It was a blast, it was reliving a dream. It was indescribable playing in front of that screaming

crowd again, playing "the best of" music from our past, putting on that Superman suite again, and

mostly, reliving the brotherhood of the Scouts. I remember that first weekend rehearsal last February

walking in to the gym and seeing all those other "Madison Corps" jackets and instantly transforming

into a 21 year old again...beyond words! :)

The pleasure that your corps had in performing was only matched by my (and many others ) pleasure in enjoying it. THANK YOU to the Corps for entertaining us with such a wonderful performance !

Edited by X DM

I'll add a few of my feelings on to Jeff & Geno's remarks about the Scouts alumni corps.

The show itself went by so incredibly fast for me, my heart was pouding through my skin the entire performance.

The crowd was so electric and loud through the whole show it was just unbelievable. There were so many people

after the show coming up and telling us how much our show meant to them, how they got to relive their youth for

a moment too.

But looking back on the whole experience it was the process that meant so much. The reminiscing with old friends,

sharing stories from "back in the day" (which by the way everyone remembers just a little differently), the struggling

thru the music (30 years is a long time) with other guys who were struggling thru the music, wondering "what the he!!

did I get my self into" when I wasn't keeping up with the younger guys and when it was 95 degrees out and my bass drum

seemed to weigh 1000 lbs., and finally taking the bus ride to Camp Randall sitting with my bus partner from 75 & 76 and

then hanging with everyone in the tunnel before we went on. I guess its like when a pro athelete retires he always says he

doesn't miss the game as much as he does hanging with the guys. We were all able to hang with the guys again, work our

butts off and have the time of our life doing it.

Thanks for the kind words "corpsismy life" and "X DM" - I was sitting here having a crap day at work and you brought back

lots of fond memories from last year at this time.

What a great time I had. I really enjoyed every minute of it.

When I heard about the project I knew I wanted to be a part of it. Thank you to those people that made it happen.

I really tried to make a conscious effort to get to know the past members. I mean, it was good to see the guys I marched with and reminice about those days, BUT, I really wanted to learn from the older guys. It was fun to hear the stories or comments like: "our spats had shoelaces on them", Or "one time in 1968...", heck I on the bus on the way to Camp Randall stadium we all sang the bus song, and learned an older version from back in the early 70's.

Good times!

I also have to say that the party at the Stadium Bar on Saturday was off the charts. It was an all day party!!

I absolutely adored it. Hell, I even finally got that fleur de lis tattoo, I wanted for years. but for me, the excitement wasn't the performance at semifinals.

It was EVERY trip to madison. it was the rehearsals, the lunch breaks, the evenings at the stadium bar... the brotherhood.

Here's a link to an article I wrote about it for DCI.org my article

A lot of us said as we wound up to that Friday night peformance that "if we only had one more week!" we could have been even more polished.

As it was, an incredible amount of improvement happened in just a relatively short period. It was certainly different than when I was 20... my

body wasn't as able, my ability to memorize music was not the same, my stamina was certainly a little less than 20 years ago.

But the one thing that was the same... and just fell right back into place as if only a month had passed... was the ability to be a drum corps

member. It was as if not so much time had gone by, and being out on familiar practice fields that I had been on 20+ years earlier, seeing

faces I had been with 20+ years ago, hearing the same voices and in essence doing the same things after so much time had passed was

surreal in and of itself. The journey as a whole was one big reliving of a time gone by for me, culminating with a chance to be in front of a

crowd again as big as a DCI championship crowd.

honestly, im not sure how much one more week would have really mattered, your performance was so much more than straight lines, and a clean drumline, it was really way beyond that. just amazing

It was very fun...and BTW Sly...the 70's rule!!!!!!!!!

Pilot... you are a master of detail and expression...

:P