Crossmen

From YEA!.org

Members embrace ties; lead players sought

The Crossmen are coming off an exhilarating and productive camp where energy, inspiration and the ties that unite ‘Bones' from one season to the next were felt throughout the weekend.

The corps met for its fourth rehearsal of the season at Ronald Reagan High School in San Antonio, Texas, learning additional music to the their break-out program "Metamorphosis," and taking part in "Member-to-Member" time where veterans and rookies continue to learn about each other and the rich traditions that make the Crossmen a legend in the activity. The corps also received an inspiring talk from Alumnus and Youth Education in the Arts Executive Director George Hopkins.

"This camp was the best yet," Crossmen Director Mark Chambers said. "The members worked hard and all goals were met. This show really seems to be working - it's very creative and unique."

"Metamorphosis" was recently announced by Chambers as the title and concept for the corps' 2007 field program. Aptly titled for a drum corps that in September 2006 moved from its long-time home on the East Coast to San Antonio, this show will link nostalgia with the wide open opportunities that await the Crossmen in Texas. Music selections come from Paul Hindemith's "Symphonic Metamorphosis," among other works yet to be released by corps' staff. Already, more than seven minutes of music have been taught and learned by the Crossmen.

"The Crossmen brass section is having a banner season thus far," according to Rick Villarreal, the corps Brass Caption Head. "Excitement is high and the energy is contagious. The many returning vets are providing outstanding leadership for this year's talented crop of rookies."

The hornline still needs experienced lead players on trumpet, horn and baritone, Villarreal said. The corps meets again on March 30-April 1 and skilled players interested in auditioning are encouraged to contact Villarreal at rick@yea.org or Chambers at mark@yea.org. Camp information can be found here.

Now through the first few camps where solidifying membership was a priority, the Crossmen are steadily building relationships with each other that will only increase in intensity as Spring Training and the May 25 move in date draw closer.

Chambers has been impressed with the lead role more than 44 veterans have taken in fostering new members. Not only have they shown them the ropes of the activity, but they are effectively relaying and sharing the history of this 32-year-old corps whose foundation remains on the outskirts of Philadelphia, Pa. Leadership from Drum Majors Jarrett Lipman and Garrett Dillon, both vets, has been awesome, he added.

Lipman, the corps' returning drum major, leads the Crossmen during "Member-to-Member" sessions, held Saturday nights at camp. Those special meetings allow the group to bond, discuss the traditions of the Crossmen, and share the nitty-gritty of what it's like to be a member of a world-class touring drum corps.

"This year, obviously, has been more important than ever for us to talk about the rich heritage of the Crossmen. So far, the new members are really into it," Lipman said. Topics range from life on the road, Spring Training, "Wearing the Cross," to the true meaning behind "Crossmen Cookie Salad."

The corps watches videos, listens to recordings and stories sent by alumni, exploring all those things that make the Crossmen unique, according to Lipman. Also, support comes from across the miles via the Crossmen Alumni Association, a critical link in providing information to share with rookies.

"The goal is to work to preserve the traditions that have made us who we are, while combining them with the new opportunities we have in Texas," Lipman said. "The members understand that even though our mailing address reads ‘San Antonio, Texas,' it doesn't alter or diminish the incredible past that has brought us where we are today."

Texas may be a different landscape, but the Crossmen are assuredly the corps they have always been.

"Every vet will tell you that as soon as they came to the corps [this season], it felt like home. Even those who have moved beyond the corps, still call Crossmen their family," Lipman said.

Of course, the 1,700 mile distance for some has been challenging, but the veterans have treated 2007 no differently than any other season. Sections are eating together, sleeping together and trying to become close during camps. Between camps, sections still get together to practice and just hang-out, Lipman said.

"The summer is what will truly unite the ‘new and old' as one Crossmen, but we are off to a solid start."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw the ensemble rehearsal saturday, and it was very impressive, especcially the pit and battery. They played through the first two movements of there show, and so far it is very creative and innovative, and also performed very well.

Hopefully Ill have some time to volunteer in the future, at camps and on tour, cause I dont wanna miss this season for the Crossmen. Im very excited, as is the members and staff from what I can tell.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg....maybe he made a time machine, hey can u get me some lotto numbers for next week?

Just remember, pick the number "27" somewhere! :P

Anyway, I see Crossmen are coming to the Memphis Show. That will be an interesting show to go to. I'm psyched about it.

GET IT BONES!

Is it too soon to say.....

DARKHORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see you this summer!

I miss you guys!

Edited by mellos