Crossmen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

single digits.

:sleeping::worthy:

Just all you jumping on the bandwagon in March remember--you heard it here first! Way back in November when it was announced that they were moving down to Texas!

I called 10th or higher, dcifan. I'll take 10th if you'll take higher and wager a Dr Pepper on it! (been waitin' on someone else to pop off about placement!)

Just all you jumping on the bandwagon in March remember--you heard it here first! Way back in November when it was announced that they were moving down to Texas!

I called 10th or higher, dcifan. I'll take 10th if you'll take higher and wager a Dr Pepper on it! (been waitin' on someone else to pop off about placement!)

I'll gladly take that bet from both of you. I think Crossmen will do very well this year, but given the strength of the other corps from 14-9 I think saying they will move up 5 or more spots is a little ridiculous. I can't see them ANY higher than 11th, I think 12th will even be a challenge. So ya, put me down for a DP. And if you're into side bets, I wager the point spread from 10th -15th is less than 2 points.

Edited by BozzlyB

It is either interesting or telling that they had over 400 at the first camp and they are still looking for lead sops and baris in March. Mark Chambers said the line is young but full of talent. If it is full of talent leads shoud not be a problem.... Should it? I still hope this move was good for my favorite corps.... Guess I need to see the product before I can put my fears to rest.

No its not--who couldn't use a couple more quality leads? We had the same issue with Sky when the corps was in Texas from Hutch in the early 90's. I'd put the talent of that corps when we were mostly 18 and 19-year old rookies up against anybody, and I'd be willing to bet the Xmen this year are the same if not more so than we were. For one, Xmen has far more finals placements than Sky to that point, the activity's performance level is well documented here, and Texas has grown a whole lot since the early 90's which means our talent level (already the best anywhere) is much higher.

So what does this all mean? It means that Xmen will have a very young, but VERY capable corps this year. And if the members stick around for a couple years, WATCH OUT!! But will they have anybody capable of giving 84BDSop a run for his money? Probably not. Hence their appeal for leads. You don't have to have spectacular, solo-calibre leads to have a great hornline. But Marching Band in Texas is completely different than DCI--it takes DOING it for a year to know what the heck you are DOING.

SkyRyders in 1992 had Paul Rennick over drums, Bill Watson over brass, and Garrett Decker over guard--not bad!! Take those three and put them with a top corps and you'll get some pretty nice results. Put them with rookies, which most of us were, and you miss finals. But our members that year, by the time we all aged out, included two DCI mellophone I&E champs, one Baritone I&E champ, the '93 BD baritone show soloist, the '95 (right year Jason?) Scouts mello soloist, and members of every top 6 corps at the time.

Keep a log of the '07 Xmen and what happens to them. I imagine most this year are about 18-19 with a few younger and a few older. Many may depart next year for "greener" pastures (no double-entendre intended--only meaning higher corps), although Xmen seems to be maintaining a better connection to its past than Sky did, so you may not have such bad returning numbers.

All you naysayers have faith--these are the same Texans who fill your corps in PA, IL, CA, and WI, just a year or two younger.

Go Texas! And kick butt, Bones! 10th or higher, but if you don't get there don't worry about it--just come back in '08 and don't go march somewhere else. The story that you write now will be legendary in the history of DCI. Sky '90 was 19th and missed semis. '91 jumped into finals, but we couldn't hold on. You guys pick up where we left off and show them what Texans can do!

I'll gladly take that bet from both of you. I think Crossmen will do very well this year, but given the strength of the other corps from 14-9 I think saying they will move up 5 or more spots is a little ridiculous. I can't see them ANY higher than 11th, I think 12th will even be a challenge. So ya, put me down for a DP. And if you're into side bets, I wager the point spread from 10th -15th is less than 2 points.

Boz, you're on! A DP it is--though I don't know how you're gonna get it to me ;)

I'll pass on the side bet. I was really impressed with 8-15 last year, but it was my first year back after a long hiatus--I'll stick to taunting everybody about what Texans can do! Although I think that range may have been the most solid range in DCI.

Edit: On second thought, I'll take your side bet on 10-15 being less than 2 points--pretty slim spread! I say wider than 2.0 based simply on results from semis (6 points +/-). Another DP? Or should we act our ages and say this one is for a 6-pack of suds? My favorite is Shiner Bock, for the record--available only in (you guessed it!) Texas! From the little brewery in Shiner, TX!

Ask me before last season and I would never have expected the top three to be 3+ points above everyone else, so nothing is outside the realm of possibility!

BTW, my comments about Xmen are not intended as a diss to any other corps that they will be leapfrogging over into 10th place, simply my arrogant way of saying that Texas, and Texans, are better. And the top 12 auditioning here backs up that statement, so nyah! Tell George DFW will welcome the Cadets any time he wants to change Congressional Districts and States again!

So there you have it, Bones--10th place, I win a Dr Pepper from Boz. Win me that DP and I'll buy the whole corps one--have it shipped from Dublin, TX straight to the Rose Bowl for you! (somebody explain the whole Dublin DP thing to the young-uns, huh?)

Edited by silvertrombone

I would bet against your 2 point spread from 10th thru 15th but if that turns out to be what actually happens this year it would make for one heck of a semi-finals.

BackBeat