Phantom colorguard 1993-1999....

Garrett Decker?!? What!

A guy with the same name taught band at my Middle School in 2001-2002. He also wrote the drill for the High School MB from 2002-2004. I wonder if this is the same Decker. I'm positive that nobody had any idea who he really was or that is background included Phantom Regiment.

I never talked to him, but I knew I liked him for some odd reason! :P

Most likely. He is now the guard director at Westfield HS, and I remember hearing that he had been a middle school band director before he went back to guard.

You're thinking of Garett George, who's now a band director in the Chicago suburbs.

G

Thanks, Greg. So Garrett George taught Sky '92, Garrett Decker taught PR '94 (maybe other years?), and this other Garrett marched Scouts in '97. Typical--three different people.

P.S. If I'm thinking the wrong GNewell, sorry for calling you by the wrong name! I seem to be doing that in this thread.

'94 seemed like we added a lot of jazz running, too. Rehearsed it in brass block one day--yuck! Talk about wasted. Middle of season, you're in great shape and they start making everybody jazz run. I felt like my legs turned to jello--I don't envy the contras!

Try Bob Smith and Johnny Sanchez making the whole horn line doing 4 to 5 down the field WITH direction changes. Yea field sweeps.

Thanks, Greg. So Garrett George taught Sky '92, Garrett Decker taught PR '94 (maybe other years?), and this other Garrett marched Scouts in '97. Typical--three different people.

P.S. If I'm thinking the wrong GNewell, sorry for calling you by the wrong name! I seem to be doing that in this thread.

Yes, very confusing.

Garrett Decker was involved for a handful of years in the '90s with PR -- both visual and guard. Garrett lives/works in Oklahoma or Texas, I believe.

Garett George marched PR in '97 (bari) and then taught for a couple summers (maybe '01-'02?). Garett is in the Chicago area last I knew. I think he was at one of the Glen Ellyn schools. Prior to that he was at a little school outside Bloomington/Normal.

I don't know anything about Sky Ryders as it relates to a Garrett/Garett.

G

Yes, very confusing.

Garrett Decker was involved for a handful of years in the '90s with PR -- both visual and guard. Garrett lives/works in Oklahoma or Texas, I believe.

Garett George marched PR in '97 (bari) and then taught for a couple summers (maybe '01-'02?). Garett is in the Chicago area last I knew. I think he was at one of the Glen Ellyn schools. Prior to that he was at a little school outside Bloomington/Normal.

I don't know anything about Sky Ryders as it relates to a Garrett/Garett.

G

Jodi Hollis (Fairbanks) taught the guard in 95,96,97.

I think I remember Garrett being at sky in 91 as well. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet, but Cindi Baumgartner also taught at Regiment for some time. (She was there in 92--not sure for how long prior...)

Edited by year1buick

I think I remember Garrett being at sky in 91 as well. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned yet, but Cindi Baumgartner also taught at Regiment for some time. (She was there in 92--not sure for how long prior...)

Far more than just '92! She's one of a handful of PR teaching legends.

Cindi had many, many years on staff as one of the best techs in the business -- check out the outstanding guards of the late '80s (including the one that won high guard in ''88). She marched in the early-mid '70s and, I believe, aged out in '78. and then taught well into the '90s. I think maybe '96 or '97 was her last year on staff. She was very demanding and had an incredible attention to detail.

BTW, for those that know her, she turns the big 5-0 next week. Shhh.