I almost lost my group of local friends. They did not understand why I disappeared each summer or how I had all these other friends…plus you know, most band stuff was considered very uncool. And we were the cool kids…but, we played a show in my home town and they all came by to check it out – they were so impressed that they ran down to the field and waited at the exit of the stadium so they could shout at me as we marched by. they got it and never ragged on me for being in corp again

I'll never forget that, its where my 2 worlds met for the first time

Wow!!! I hope that that happens to me. My family (not to mention friends) don't seem to understand why I would spend $2000+ to march. They can't see how fun it is and how much it means to me. I hope they have a chance to go and see one of my shows, so that they can appreciate what drum corps is really like.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to give up drum corps to go to college.

I wanted so badly to march with 27th Lancers...the commute alone from Indianapolis to Revere, MA would have broken the bank...however, Mom and I both agreed that college should come first.

I certainly don't regret the decision, but I sure would have liked to march in a drum corps!

When I was 11 years old and joined drum corps I had to quit my little league baseball team,

then I gave up being a juvenile delinquent, a petty thief and a real pain in the arse to my mother.

Later in life at 20 years old I quit a good job to move to Madison and join the Scouts for my

last two years of eligibility in drum corps.

Way later in life I gave up some projects at work, evenings and weekends with my wife, vacations

etc to march with the alumni corps.

It was all more than worth it.

At the risk of getting too personal... Drum corps didn't break you two up did it?? :sleeping:

Nope, we have been married since 1997, and two years ago she let me go to Syracuse all summer and march with the Brigs.

I couldn't have a better lady...

Shane

I can't really say that I gave up any girlfriends to march Drum Corps, because all of the coolest girls were in........DRUM CORPS! :P

OK good. I was concerned because when asked what you sacrificed for drum corps, you said your wife!!!

Ha, ha!

No, I should have said, "I sacrificed my summers and time with my wife."

Heh!

Shane

I don't regret it but I sacrificed life its own self. (Anyone read that book by the way?)

Proms (George Z was scheduled to be my date for my senior prom - it was the disco era soooo....but Ralph Pace forbid it the missing of rehearsal in 77 - but no big whoop.

I gave up marching 1975 for a guy, big error!

If I hadn't marched this past summer, I would have been able to work enough to pay off my school bill and go to school during the fall. BUT I just spent the fall working (/marching/teachingband) and was able to pay it off so I could go back this semester. I'm going to end up taking a couple of classes this summer (but I aged out so s'ok) and a couple in the fall, but it's worth it. I have the rest of my life to work, so why rush it more than necessary? In addition to the conversation during the past 3 winters with my mom "Are you seriously going to continue this ridiculous drum corps bullcrap? Laurel, work." Too bad Mom. Oh yeah, and about 30 pounds every summer.

What did I gain through drum corps? What didn't I gain through corps? SO MANY amazing friends. Confidence. Playing/marching skills. Teaching skills. So much more.