Yet another prediction for 2007!

You are definately not the first person to predict that the Bluecoats will suddenly stop their momentum and, in fact, even slide back 3 spots or more.

And you are definitely not the first person to predict that just because a corps has risen in the rankings in previous years, that they will automatically continue to rise.

You will not be the last to be proven wrong of this either.

That's nice and all, but if you honestly think that there is no possibility of them dropping in placement next season even with an improved corps, then you haven't been paying attention to how this activity works. With the ever-rising quality of corps and performances in the top 12 these days, hardly anything is a lock. I could very easily see them field an improved corps this year, get out to California at finals and pop a high 93 or 94 (which would be an improvement over 2006).....and finish in 5th or 6th place (which would NOT be an improvement over 2006). If anything, it speaks to the overall quality of corps in the top 12.

Seriously...whats it gonna take?

Many many years of consistency in placing in the top grouping of corps, which basically means scoring above a 94/95 or so. When you're hitting that number for multiple consecutive years, you can call yourself a legitimate contender. Changing perception in this activity often takes TIME (yes, there are notable but rare exceptions). Personally, I think they're on the right track. But I also think a lot of corps are doing good things and are on the right track as well. I'd love to see a day when 8 or 9 or 10 corps are all scoring above a 93 or 94. It might just come to pass one of these years, but there's only so much room up there. You can't have 8 or 9 corps in the top 5.

The Bluecoats came to play people. They're for real, and they aren't going to just sit around and let corps pass them.

What exactly can they do to stop another corps from passing them?? They can only control what they do. They can improve on last year, and then what happens if SCV and the Cadets improve even more?? Those two corps scored within one point of Canton last year...a lot closer to 4th place than the Bluecoats were to 3rd. And if that happens, it's not like the Bluecoats can do anything to prevent it. Point is, nobody knows. (And if you're going to use previous seasons as some sort of barometer, you'd have to give a corps like the Cadets the benefit of the doubt that they will be able to rise back to their usual level of scoring above a 95 at finals.)

They're coming off of 4th place and haven't had a single year where they've finished lower than the previous season since 2000.

That's great. An incredible accomplishment. But I don't see them as a lock for anything except making finals. I would only be shocked if they didn't finish in the single digits. I can realistically see them finishing anywhere from 3rd to 8th, depending of course on the quality of their competition, which I expect to be high.

I wish them well. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STOP IT!!!!! IT'S ONLY MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I care. Is it that hard to list 8 or so more division I corps on a list? For me, it's not a matter of my favorite corps not being listed. It's to do with respect and completeness. If we had 60+ division I corps, then I could see grouping by top 12, top 17, top 25.... I don't understand why people complain when someone wants to see a full list of division I corps. I've seen predicitions where only the top 3 corps are predicted. What's that about? Only top 3 matter? Is this the same phenomenon that makes it more difficult for the lower placing division I corps to fill up their numbers when many more audition than march? Hmmmm :grouphug:

wahh.

seriously.

I think the best part of this entire thread is the fact that by arguing over who is getting the last few spots for Finals, we are essentially commenting on how great the competition is for those spots. At least we don't have to say "will anyone be good enough this year." I thought 2006 was a great season, and hopefully 2007 will prove to be the same, if not better. I'm really looking forward to what these battling corps will bring to the table next year. B)

1. Crossmen

2. Blue Knights

3. The Magic

4. Madison Scouts

5. The Academy

6. Colts

7. Spirit from JSU

8. Troopers

9. Blue Devils

10. Mandarins

11. Pacific Crest

12. Esperanza

13. Carolina Crown

14. Glassmen

15. Seattle Cascades

16. Pioneer

17. The Cadets

18. Boston Crusaders

19. Santa Clara Vanguard

20. Southwind

21. Phantom Regiment

22. The Cavaliers

23. Mandarins

24. Blue Stars

25. Capital Regiment

Of course there is. Before 2004 there were people saying, "Yeah they're great, but they've never made top 6."

Actually, in 2004, it was more like "they have a 25-year old Executive Director. They are toast" and "they will be lucky to make the Top 12, much less alone the Top 8 with such a young staff."

I remember these things. It sure is nice seeing other people proved wrong.

Elmo Blatch