Regulation Practice Gear

A gush-and-go is when the corps puts down their equipment, runs to their water jugs, drinks as much water as they can in about a minute or two, and then runs back out to the set they last stood in, picks up their instruments and gets at attention to start cleaning again. They try to give less of those in the south, where 5 minute water breaks are needed more.

five minute water breaks?!?

jeez. i marched in the wrong corps.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiation is also dectectable in the blood. I know, because I'm required by my company to take an annual blood test specifically for that reason. Monthly radiation badges are also issued and must be worn in radiation areas at all times and are sent to the lab for evaluation. If the test reveals more than 100 milirems over a 30 day period you're suspended without pay until your blood test reveals a legally acceptable level. If it happens again you're fired. Period. I want to see DCI kids preform and live a long and healthy life. I don't want to hear about them dying 10 or 20 years from now because they wanted to look "cool in the sun".

#### sapiens has a great tool for helping to protect him from the sun: melanin. As we get more sun, our skin secretes more melanin, darkening our skin and helping to block UV light.

Oh yeah...there's sunscreen, too.

Any other bright ideas about how not wearing a t-shirt will ultimately kill you?

Kind of funny that the software blocked that word in that context!! Look, folks--we're banned!

Ducky has a good point about uniforms--anyone else had that problem at the first show? I kind of remember thinking, dang--all you 5'6" people look alike! Kind of easy to guide off of me--I'm 8'2"! (a bit exaggerated!) Probably the tallest plume in the history of DCI--or at least PR.

Rehearsals? No problem--everyone is used to everyone--could march it in our sleep. In uniform? Kind of freaked me out at the first show. Maybe it was just the idea that I was actually wearing THAT uniform. But I didn't have that problem in SkyRyders at the first show. I don't think PR did a practice run-through in uniform before our first show--don't remember that specifically. Anyone remember '94 differently?

Radiation is also dectectable in the blood. I know, because I'm required by my company to take an annual blood test specifically for that reason. Monthly radiation badges are also issued and must be worn in radiation areas at all times and are sent to the lab for evaluation. If the test reveals more than 100 milirems over a 30 day period you're suspended without pay until your blood test reveals a legally acceptable level. If it happens again you're fired. Period. I want to see DCI kids preform and live a long and healthy life. I don't want to hear about them dying 10 or 20 years from now because they wanted to look "cool in the sun".

Not to be a total nerd here, but the blood test is looking for effects of ionizing radiation - alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, or proton interactions. The effects of the sun are caused by the interactions with the skin cells and ultraviolet light. Granted, the affects of high energy beta particles will produce a similar effect as a sunburn, this is because the skin is very effective at stopping both beta and UV radiation, thus absorbing the dose. Most of the radiation that you are probably being tested for is gamma, and most of the gamma rays coming from the sun are blocked/absorbed/scattered by the atmosphere.

your geekdom impresses me.

i dig it.

Well, after that one unfortunate incident in Calgary, we wre all required to wear pants to rehersal. :sshh:

I would like to add thats why the Snapettes practice indoors all the time at the corps hall, fondly known as the IceDen Hockey Dome. Including the Other Snapettes Minature Pony Drill Team. The Sierra Rabbits from have been invited to hold rehearsals at the Dome but said the membership is not in danger of sun exposure for all the obvious reasons. They are all made from plastic since the corps has recruited only road side eating establishment mascots for their premier season.

Thank god there are no longer silver dots on the snare drums any longer. Those were blinding.

Mom

Edited by Snapettes Mom

Not to be a total nerd here, but the blood test is looking for effects of ionizing radiation - alpha, beta, gamma, neutron, or proton interactions. The effects of the sun are caused by the interactions with the skin cells and ultraviolet light. Granted, the affects of high energy beta particles will produce a similar effect as a sunburn, this is because the skin is very effective at stopping both beta and UV radiation, thus absorbing the dose. Most of the radiation that you are probably being tested for is gamma, and most of the gamma rays coming from the sun are blocked/absorbed/scattered by the atmosphere.

My tests are for radiation in the X-Ray spectrum, which the sun does emmit enormously once it's gasses are heated to 1 million degrees. Boy is this geeky. Ah, what the heck - it's the offseason.

Edited by Piper