1986 I&E Blue Devil Leif Marwede

supersop

I'm just interested in getting some reaction from the new school and old school players about this solo.

I'm really digging this. Its got a lot of everything in it, slow melodic playing to fast ramming, to flashy tosses and whatnot. Plus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is one of my favorite Christmas songs.

I'm really digging this. Its got a lot of everything in it, slow melodic playing to fast ramming, to flashy tosses and whatnot. Plus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is one of my favorite Christmas songs.

Dude, this guy is a legend! In 1986, not a lot of quad player could do what Leif was doing man.... trust me, this is a hot solo. Only thing that ruins it is the stick drop, but his recovery is calm, cool and collected and he throws down to the end.

I'd also like to mention that he is playing lots of flams... todays tenor players aren't doing that at all in some instances. Legend. He is a legend.

I marched with Leif in the Phantom Regiment and he is the real deal. Today, he is the percussion caption head with CorpsVets and has done a great job.

Edited by Jd83

anyone have a vid of Darryl Foote ( spirit 86, placed ahead of lief) doing his tenor solo? We worked together a few years back and singles/paradiddles are still kicking..

I'm just interested in getting some reaction from the new school and old school players about this solo.

Thats hip as #### dude!

That guy is tearin some stuff up. I like the texturing he does, changing implements etc.

My pet peeve is how alot of soloists change to puffs or swizzles or something and then just do the same stuff they were already doing only with a different mallet. He changes it up nicely, plays a wide dynamic range, and of course, the superchops!

I think reaction from the crowd speaks for itself tho. And after all, thats what its all about!

Tony P

I remember Leif working on that solo. He was a very thoughtful player who was trying to demonstrate more range on the tenors, rather than just cramming in a bunch of notes. Of course, he will also always be the guy who sprained his ankle playing ninja during practice.

I currently work with Leif at a video game company. He is a madman!!! I marched in the Cavaliers during the same timeframe but didn't know him. He has told me of this performance and I am thrilled to have the ability to actually see it. What a performance! He is still a really fun guy to be around. He is intense and passionate about corps. If you saw the 'Vettes perform last year you may have noticed that they had very original/ unique tenor drums. Leif has developed them. Very cool stuff

I remember Leif working on that solo. He was a very thoughtful player who was trying to demonstrate more range on the tenors, rather than just cramming in a bunch of notes. Of course, he will also always be the guy who sprained his ankle playing ninja during practice.

This may be part of the legend that's inaccurate.... but didn't he play the exact (or close to the same) solo the year before and not place nearly as high? I'm not entirely familiar with Leif's marching history other than I know he was with Saginaires prior to BD. He was listed as being on staff with Northern Aurora in 1987 when I marched on sop .. but I never got the chance to meet him.