Breathe-Dah

What is "breathe-dah" technique?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Inquiring minds what to know. What is "breathe-dah" technique?

• Pixie Dust
    • Placebo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breathe-Dah relates more to the development of taking a proper breath, setting the embouchure, creating proper shape and size in the aperture, correctly forming the "ah" syllable, and proper use of the tongue to produce a clean, distinct start to notes.

It doesn't really apply to where within the phrase you breathe, but rather how you do it, as the "where" is always relative.

Not sure where you where trying to go with this, but if you were trying to discredit the Breathe-Dah method, you failed...

And by the way, yes, it is Pixie Dust. Also, I vote it should be added as the 12th commandment.

That is all.

Edited by drumcorpsfanguy1800

no offense... but there's not much else you can do other than the "breathe-dah" stuff... I mean, you can hold your breath..........................dah!, or breathe-moo... but I think you get my point... much hoop-lah over a duh thing.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

I vote it should be added as the 12th commandment.

That is all.

I 2nd that

Once you get to a certain level, the last thing you're thinking about is the breath. If you practice correctly and have been taught the right things, if you aren't taking good breaths, you're probably just stupid.

Anyway, as far as breath-dah, it's a pretty important facet when it comes to an ensemble such as drum corps hornlines who NEED to be very tight and uniform. But really, it's just an extension of proper brass playing. Infact, very elementary techniques as far as brass playing.

Yeah, I took this from another thread--my thanks to whomever posted it.

I dare say in the corps I marched, we taught everybody to breathe right in the middle of the phrase. If not, right before the end of the phrase was also acceptable.

Elmo Blatch

When I marched, we were, for the most part, assigned breathing to avoid holes in the phrasing.