Breathe-Dah

What is "breathe-dah" technique?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Inquiring minds what to know. What is "breathe-dah" technique?

• Pixie Dust
    • Placebo

I hope it isn't a placebo. If it is, I've been walking around for years thinking I was getting the real deal. :P

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched, we were, for the most part, assigned breathing to avoid holes in the phrasing.

Dude, it was a joke. We were not taught to break a phrase. I think every corps and (and most good music ensembles) preach the importance of timed attacks, proper articulation, and the breathing/preparation that leads up to it.

Elmo Blatch

Dude, it was a joke. We were not taught to break a phrase. I think every corps and (and most good music ensembles) preach the importance of timed attacks, proper articulation, and the breathing/preparation that leads up to it.

Elmo Blatch

No they don't, only Carolina Crown does that. I know, one of their members told me themselves.

The whole point of the "breath-dah" concept is to get the ensemble to make entrances together...that's all. Any other purpose beyond that is essentially thrown out the window when everything hits the field. Timing the breath is a very elementary and basic way to get someone to articulate in time; for this purpose, it works well with 64 amateur horn players. Advanced players don't think about the breath when they play, as they already know how to play in time.