Past shows that would do well today

No, but the addition of Bb and "concept" driven shows have made almost every finals show better than those back before 96.

I think Bb has no bearing in making shows better or worse than in the past. And what is so difference between the "concept" driven shows of today and the "theme" driven shows of yesterday? They're both ways of making a coherent show.

I know that you were thinking of getting some Historical DVDs. Did you actually do that? Go watch some of the shows I've mentioned. Not just the champion shows...

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

umm maybe cadets 93.....its not even necessarily the design of shows (although that is some of it) but its the execution. visually the top corps just look soooooo much better now. everyone can argue all they want but when i pop in 03-06 dvds of the top 6 and watch ANYTHING pre 2000 (not to mention anything out of the 80's) there isnt even a close comparison. maybe feet timing....maybe....but thats it. i watch how far upper bodies have come, and hornlines look a million times stronger than they used to. marching technique is so much more refined. heck watch Cadets 2001 and then Cadets 2003, there is a huge difference right there. And then there is the Blue Devils, i LOVE the way those kids march....i'll take watching the blue devils the last 4 years over any visual program out of the 80's and early 90's...and then some. and i wont even bother commenting on the drill designs of corps like Cavaliers and Bluecoats compared to the yesteryear, or we'll be here till next week reading this post.

I think Bb has no bearing in making shows better or worse than in the past. And what is so difference between the "concept" driven shows of today and the "theme" driven shows of yesterday? They're both ways of making a coherent show.

I know that you were thinking of getting some Historical DVDs. Did you actually do that? Go watch some of the shows I've mentioned. Not just the champion shows...

Ya, I kinda for got to state that I was being sarcastic. my mistake, sorry.

everyone can argue all they want but when i pop in 03-06 dvds of the top 6 and watch ANYTHING pre 2000 (not to mention anything out of the 80's) there isnt even a close comparison. maybe feet timing....maybe....but thats it. marching technique is so much more refined.

I disagree... check out Cadets 98... that would stack up to todays standards

1993 Star of Indiana.

1987 Garfield Cadets

1998 Cadets of Bergen County

And on sheer playing ability alone, 1976 Blue Devils

umm maybe cadets 93.....its not even necessarily the design of shows (although that is some of it) but its the execution. visually the top corps just look soooooo much better now. everyone can argue all they want but when i pop in 03-06 dvds of the top 6 and watch ANYTHING pre 2000 (not to mention anything out of the 80's) there isnt even a close comparison. maybe feet timing....maybe....but thats it. i watch how far upper bodies have come, and hornlines look a million times stronger than they used to. marching technique is so much more refined. heck watch Cadets 2001 and then Cadets 2003, there is a huge difference right there. And then there is the Blue Devils, i LOVE the way those kids march....i'll take watching the blue devils the last 4 years over any visual program out of the 80's and early 90's...and then some. and i wont even bother commenting on the drill designs of corps like Cavaliers and Bluecoats compared to the yesteryear, or we'll be here till next week reading this post.

No arguement on the visual. But the music is a different animal. Visual is only half the show. And IMHO should be about 1/3 of the show.

I'll stack up any of the shows mentioned from say 87 up musically against more recent. And don't throw the more technically challenging to play crap out. Runs are runs and they ain't that entertaining.

hmm...maybe it's just me, but I think Star 93 was judged pretty fairly and placed accordingly.

I don't think it would've necessarily done any better, it would just seem a little more "normal" nowadays

- O yea, and just about any finalist show from the mid-80s on would place pretty well today.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

hmm...maybe it's just me, but I think Star 93 was judged pretty fairly and placed accordingly.

I don't think it would've necessarily done any better, it would just seem a little more "normal" nowadays

- O yea, and just about any show from the mid-80s on would place pretty well today.

i think if you put Cadets 93 vs. Star 93 in how the activity was circa 95-98, it would have won.

i think if you put Cadets 93 vs. Star 93 in how the activity was circa 95-98, it would have won.

Woah, we actually agree! Star 93 was way ahead of it's time

I disagree... check out Cadets 98... that would stack up to todays standards

correct in marching technique...but that was the first year their 'stiff' straight legs really went into effect (or at least up a whole notch), but their upper bodies no....just no. and their marching was incredible, the closest to that year may be 2003 in terms of feet and techinique. but their upper presence is sooooo much more powerful and portrays sooo much more physical strength.