Aimachi

After watching a video of Aimachi's drumline last year- I was actually kind of surprised that no drum corps "borrowed" their tenor trick, especially after the crowd reaction it got on the video.

Which leads me to this question- hypothetically, say Aimachi or some other group decided to come to DCI with a 21-and under aged corps; not to do tour but just to do finals.

I understand what DCI's guidelines are about touring, etc; but if an overseas corps only wanted to come to championships and were in compliance with Jr. corps age guidelines, would they be allowed to compete in Div. I?

Keep in mind that the financial issues of touring would not be a factor- as long as they can afford the plane tickets and rent a truck for a week, the money part would be taken care of.

If DCI does not allow this- should they?

Saw them live twice last WGI season. Prelims I sat front row. GOD!!! They were good 10 snares.....CLEAN!! Guard was pretty good.

Finals I sat up top... they gave up on some easier parts of the show (which is why they placed 3rd) and the tenor feature...EVERYONE was on their feet for the rest of the show.

Good times.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw them live twice last WGI season. Prelims I sat front row. GOD!!! They were good 10 snares.....CLEAN!! Guard was pretty good.

Finals I sat up top... they gave up on some easier parts of the show (which is why they placed 3rd) and the tenor feature...EVERYONE was on their feet for the rest of the show.

Good times.

pretty clean. I can Rhythm X and of course MCM were much cleaner.

I love their visual program, though.

~>conner

pretty clean. I can Rhythm X and of course MCM were much cleaner.

I love their visual program, though.

~>conner

I agree - Whenever I see a line with 10 snares, I always wonder - 10 clean snares or 10 dirty snares? It was fairly clean. Tenor feature was pretty cool - great crowd response

I think the reason you thought they were so clean was because only half of them played the licks.

theme of show = 5... only half the snares played most of the show.

sure their show was entertaining... but their drumming wasnt up there with anyone else in the top 4.

Edited by MalletMusic

I think the reason you thought they were so clean was because only half of them played the licks.

theme of show = 5... only half the snares played most of the show.

sure their show was entertaining... but their drumming wasnt up there with anyone else in the top 4.

True on 5 played at a time most of the show. But when they did, it was balls. Some lines can't even get 5-6 snares clean. But again, I'm not a hard core drummer, but I know quality (or smart writing) when I see it.

I thought they set the bar for GE in the indoor percussion idiom, but I'd hardly call them "clean." I wouldn't goes as far as calling them "dirty," either, but there was a lot of gray moments, even with half the snare line sitting out.

I would say that RCC and Blue Knights played constistantly cleaner then Aimachi... though neither line was even close to production quality and effect.

All and all, I think the standings ended up as they should have, but I just don't think Aimachi was in the same ballpark as Mystique, Rhythm X, or RCC in terms of pure musical execution.

Edited by Keith Laubhan