Aimachi

After watching a video of Aimachi's drumline last year- I was actually kind of surprised that no drum corps "borrowed" their tenor trick, especially after the crowd reaction it got on the video.

Which leads me to this question- hypothetically, say Aimachi or some other group decided to come to DCI with a 21-and under aged corps; not to do tour but just to do finals.

I understand what DCI's guidelines are about touring, etc; but if an overseas corps only wanted to come to championships and were in compliance with Jr. corps age guidelines, would they be allowed to compete in Div. I?

Keep in mind that the financial issues of touring would not be a factor- as long as they can afford the plane tickets and rent a truck for a week, the money part would be taken care of.

If DCI does not allow this- should they?

Edited by wolfgang

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Wolfgang...If you were impressed by the video, you should have seen them in person. If you live within driving distance of Dayton, Ohio, you should consider checking out the WGI World Percussion Championships, which this year is April 19, 20 and 21. A friend and I cover the event for WGI.org and WGI's Focus magazine. I know he's just as impressed with the activity as I am. It's definitely worth checking out.

The Yokohama Scouts from Yokohama, Japan will be competing in DCI competition this summer.

They are the 2007 DCJ silver medalist, high percussion award winners, and all percussion caption winners (including mini corps) at the DCJ I&E competition this past January.

And on another note, a group called Imperial Sound Drum & Bugle Corps in Japan did this same tenor trick as a tenor duo at DCJ I&E

Well, there is an international division - or used to be - they could compete in that. If they went head to head with the div 1s...they would probably get a strong crowd reaction, and then have wonderful seats for semis.

The Yokohama Scouts from Yokohama, Japan will be competing in DCI competition this summer.

They are the 2007 DCJ silver medalist, high percussion award winners, and all percussion caption winners (including mini corps) at the DCJ I&E competition this past January.

Really? I hadn't heard about that. What's the extent of their tour?

I'll tell ya, that tenor feature was dirty as heck, but right from the very first note the crowd cheered so loud that not a single person farther than 10 rows back could tell. That was quite possibly the loudest I have EVER heard the Nutter Center, and I've been going to WGI finals since 2000.

there are more than a few problems holding the japanese corps back. one large one being that their shows are written and performed on a square metric grid... vastly confusingly different than a football field. also they mostly perform inside. these two factors alone pose a major hurdle. i wouldnt expect to see any corps from japan or europe here really grinding it out for some time to come.

ill tell you this though. there are more than a few japanese corps that can throw down. (i seen em)they take music and the activity in general very differently there. if there was some way to iron out major logistical problems in getting them over here to compete, i wouldnt be surprised if more than a few american corps found themselves furthur out than 12th place.