Practice.

Place well!

Better recruiting next year.

Practice.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would gladly trade my championship to march the corps show that everyone says is the most memorable show they ever saw (Like Madison 95, didn't even come close to winning but I'd rather march that corps than any other). Drum Corps is an activity that is supposed to be all about entertainment and fun. When it becomes all about winning, this is when the activity becomes not about entertainment but about politics and drama. For this reason I LOVE alumni/minicorps. Sure there is some competition but for the most part every part of every corps gets along just fine!

The day when I march to win instead of marching to entertain is the day that I retire from drum corps.

Once again for all everyone reading this post it is my opinion only, not that of any organization/corps/slice of meat etc.

Edited by BucsBuff

There are signs of death in DCA. Aside from the anti-growth rules that got approved(fewer votes, higher minimum to compete). The performering corps don't get their name on dcacorps.org until the season after they perform at a dca championships. The performers also don't know if they'll be performing on a football field, or if they'll be photographers, or videographers recording their performance until they're on the field at the event, and maybe not until much later than that. Much less knowing if they'll get to compete in front of an audience of 30 or 3,000. Maybe not dead, or gonna die anytime soon, but there's a definite sign of deterioration.

One Note Samba!,......................Right?

I may be a relative newcomer to DCA from a performance standpoint, but I have been a keen observer for a loooong time. But now I read these threads everyday and care about what's going on. Some of the attitudes and statements made here are rather surprising. DCI may be the evil empire that many of you seem to think, but it isn't exactly all good here in DCA land either. At least the public only sees the good side, for now.

The growth potential for non-touring, weekend only, all age drum corps is certainly there. And I have to agree I haven't seen any support or rule changes in recent years to try and support it. There seems to be an attitude of; "well we are not shrinking anymore, lets get back to the good ol' days and keep changes to a minimum. Can't have all these new corps making waves." :lol: So what happens when a solid, profitable, yet smaller DCI begins giving All Age corps performance opportunities, then says " Hey these guys are not bad and seem to get butts in the stands, lets create a competitive division for them"? There goes the neighborhood. And where exactly do you think the Westcoast, Midwest, and more competitive East coast units are going to want to perform? Sure would be interesting.

For real everybody.

Recruit. Get what you can.

Make your decisions.

Practice.

Practice.

Practice.

Place well!

Better recruiting next year.

Practice.

And I would add - have fun. I'm loving DCA. Loved it in the stands as a spectator last year, loving it in my corps this year. Call me naive.....

One Note Samba!,......................Right?

it's got a beat

you can dance to it

and it goes on and on and on :lol:

You wrote about it, I wrote about it, others have written about it too... if Lumberjacks, Cheerleaders & Ro Sham Bo (a/k/a rock paper scissors) can make it onto ESPN, then so should drum corps. This would be one great way to expand our audience and truly market drum corps. Another way that Lee is exploring is actually writing a screenplay about drum corps. This has huge potential of bringing drum corps to the masses.

I don't think it's a question of us being able to make a great product and go mainstream with it - we DO have a great product... the question is do the member corps even want this?

I know at Renegades, we've always had an aggressive marketing strategy. Most other groups have chosen not to go this route. I'm not saying we have the best method but I wonder why no other corps try to achieve the visibility that we do. Or maybe they are and I just don't hear about it (since we are in a DCA vacuum out here in California). Maybe getting the ring is all there is to the competitive season?

Do we want to be rock stars, performing our best on ESPN and signing autographs at Lee's drum corps movie premier... or... are we all just happy going to Scranton/Rochester/wherever every year?

Thats all well and good.And I think it would be cool if we(that is EVERYONE) could market as agressively and take things mainstream.The question is HOW?A lot of corps either dont have the $$ or personnel to do something that big.And what guarantees that it will work.I know,I sound kinda skittish about doing something like that(and Im actually all for it),but Im sure thre are more conservative actual drum corps directors who feel the same or worst.

...and I thought it was Rochambeau. ^0^

I may be a relative newcomer to DCA from a performance standpoint, but I have been a keen observer for a loooong time. But now I read these threads everyday and care about what's going on. Some of the attitudes and statements made here are rather surprising. DCI may be the evil empire that many of you seem to think, but it isn't exactly all good here in DCA land either. At least the public only sees the good side, for now.

The growth potential for non-touring, weekend only, all age drum corps is certainly there. And I have to agree I haven't seen any support or rule changes in recent years to try and support it. There seems to be an attitude of; "well we are not shrinking anymore, lets get back to the good ol' days and keep changes to a minimum. Can't have all these new corps making waves." :lol: So what happens when a solid, profitable, yet smaller DCI begins giving All Age corps performance opportunities, then says " Hey these guys are not bad and seem to get butts in the stands, lets create a competitive division for them"? There goes the neighborhood. And where exactly do you think the Westcoast, Midwest, and more competitive East coast units are going to want to perform? Sure would be interesting.

You learned well from me on the bus in 1985 Mr. Chromik. Heh heh.

The first summer I marched in a competitive DCA corps one of the staff members said to me (or in my general direction) "It's no fun if you don't win". Well guess what? We didn't win and I had the WORST drum corps experience of my life that summer.

I will never buy into that bs again.

I am there to have fun. Party. And entertain by trying to maximize my performance to the best of my potential everytime I perform. If I happen to win along the way, great. If not? I'm still having a good time and with as many people from other corps as I can, not just the one I'm a member of.

That's my personal philosophy.

Edited by SaraNYC

I am there to have fun. Party. And entertain by trying to maximize my performance to the best of my potential everytime I perform. If I happen to win along the way, great. If not? I'm still having a good time and with as many people from other corps as I can, not just the one I'm a member of.

That's my personal philosophy.

:lol: amen

Tacos are good too. :P