Is DCA dead?

There are signs of death in DCA. Aside from the anti-growth rules that got approved(fewer votes, higher minimum to compete). The performering corps don't get their name on dcacorps.org until the season after they perform at a dca championships. The performers also don't know if they'll be performing on a football field, or if they'll be photographers, or videographers recording their performance until they're on the field at the event, and maybe not until much later than that. Much less knowing if they'll get to compete in front of an audience of 30 or 3,000. Maybe not dead, or gonna die anytime soon, but there's a definite sign of deterioration.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true.

It the nature of the beast.

Look at what the Bridgemen are doing by taking the competitive factor out of it and just entertaining. They also help other corps - Surf and recently Sunrisers by loaning them some horns.

Maybe Alumni Corps are the new DCA/DCI.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Good point,Dave. :P

Good point,Dave. :P

Plus they all play in G and we all know that's where it's really at.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I knew it was too quiet lately...

With all due repsect, you are completely missing the point. The point is not about one corps. It is quite the opposite, in fact.

The point being made is about what one can achieve working together. Look at what DCI has done over the last ten years, with an arguably inferior product, from an audience appreciatetion standpoint.

So, what do you intend to do about it? What are your plans?What do you want to do to fix the imminent death of DCA? :lol:

Edited by MelloTrump

Because of the outstanding quality of the DCA product, and the inexpensive start-up cost of forming a senior corps, DCA could potentially transform senior corps into one of the most popular and commercially viable performing arts activities in the world.

Unfortunately, DCA is destined to remain small and relatively insignificant in the entertainment world unless and until its internal culture of selfish hostility among its member corps can be changed. Currently, the sole and exclusive focus of a majority of the corps is winning DCA -- or in extreme few cases, harming other DCA corps -- with little to no regard for what is inherently best for the activity.

This is not a comment about the administration of DCA (i.e., the Board of Directors), but rather the DCA corps themselves, and it is based on first-hand personal experience and observation. Furthermore, these comments only represent my personal views, and I do not present them on behalf of any third party or organization.

Will DCA win, or will a DCA corps win? The choice is ours.

Let the usual personal attacks commence ...

Lee Rudnicki

You wrote about it, I wrote about it, others have written about it too... if Lumberjacks, Cheerleaders & Ro Sham Bo (a/k/a rock paper scissors) can make it onto ESPN, then so should drum corps. This would be one great way to expand our audience and truly market drum corps. Another way that Lee is exploring is actually writing a screenplay about drum corps. This has huge potential of bringing drum corps to the masses.

I don't think it's a question of us being able to make a great product and go mainstream with it - we DO have a great product... the question is do the member corps even want this?

I know at Renegades, we've always had an aggressive marketing strategy. Most other groups have chosen not to go this route. I'm not saying we have the best method but I wonder why no other corps try to achieve the visibility that we do. Or maybe they are and I just don't hear about it (since we are in a DCA vacuum out here in California). Maybe getting the ring is all there is to the competitive season?

Do we want to be rock stars, performing our best on ESPN and signing autographs at Lee's drum corps movie premier... or... are we all just happy going to Scranton/Rochester/wherever every year?

I would be very intertested in knowing what the Renegades organization is doing to cash in on this great commercial opportunity.

I think that many of us would be willing to see just what this is, and to follow their lead in taking advantage of it.

So, please; provide your idea in more detail!

(no personal attack or hidden meaning intended - just want to know more)

Well, before Renegades were around, I have never seen banners, recruitment videos, posters, website and an overall publicity so well built and organized. They know how to present themselves. If you go on their website you can see how much they try to accomplish by going out there and promoting Drum Corps in general, not just them, and always in a very professional way.

Lee, to say that "DCA could potentially transform senior corps into one of the most popular and commercially viable performing arts activities in the world." Is REALLY pushing it. I admire your "visionary" attitude, but really... :lol: I think you wrote that just because you were bored reading DCP. :P And thanks because yes, it was getting boring... lol

I like your explanation Kelli. :)