2003 Phantom Regiment

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find the visual package very "meh". the music however is super accessible, and the volumes they performed it at i see bridging any accessibility gap. people like loud?

i think it's an easy listen. i don't have to be concentrated on finding reasons to like it, nor do i have to brood over execution in any facet to enjoy what they're presenting. i appreciate both types of viewings/shows, but in this case, taking execution into account takes away from my overall enjoyment of the show. 03 regiment, for me, is a very "oooo, i recognize that. the trumpets are playing lots of notes. that's loud. oooo, i recognize that again, now with drums. louuuud. sweet leg kick!" type of show. it's fun as hell!

it was okay. To me, it's probabl ythe most overrated show in a while (from Phantom) but it's still okay.

The best part is Wild Nights (right after Canon in D statement.) Drill had some cool moments (drumline wedge going through high marktime hornline) but I think that's the main reason I didn't like it a whole lot. I'm also not a particular fan of Canon in D, so...

But I didn't by any means hate it.

~>conner

Because the first time I ever saw it it completely destroyed me and I cried like a baby. It made me want to go out and audition for a drum corps, which I did, a few months later.

That's why I like it.

i find the visual package very "meh". the music however is super accessible, and the volumes they performed it at i see bridging any accessibility gap. people like loud?

i think it's an easy listen. i don't have to be concentrated on finding reasons to like it, nor do i have to brood over execution in any facet to enjoy what they're presenting. i appreciate both types of viewings/shows, but in this case, taking execution into account takes away from my overall enjoyment of the show. 03 regiment, for me, is a very "oooo, i recognize that. the trumpets are playing lots of notes. that's loud. oooo, i recognize that again, now with drums. louuuud. sweet leg kick!" type of show. it's fun as hell!

I think that it just goes to show how important the musical arrangement is in generating emotion. The biggest knock against Cavies, even winning all those championships in a row, was about their music. Visually, wow but the music didn't much for many people. I liked their music (didn't love it) and did have the huge issues with it that I have seen some post about. Anyway, I have always felt that the drill and guardwork is a visual interpretation of the music being played. Start with a great book and have the visual enhance it.

If you had been in the stands on Finals night and felt the upper deck at the Citrus Bowl shaking on the last note of the show from the sheer volume and from the amazing crowd respose it got when people realized they were finally going to resolve that that last chord, then you'd understand. This show is definately one of those, "You had to be there on Finals night.", shows. I saw the show many times on tour but Finals night by far had the most "magic."

Not everyone likes the same things, or likes them at the same time. If you've watched/listened to it, and don't like it, don't watch/listen to it for a while. Go away and come back to it. Some shows that I don't find appealing at first turn out to be favorites. Other shows, which are instantly appealing, I turn out to not like very much later.

Maybe it's just one of those shows you'll never like? that's OK, of course.

I'll admit, the low brass at the beginning of the finals recording? Yech! makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.

It did set the tone for Regiment's move back toward the top...and it did make people crazed with happiness (I saw it at more then one show). You could feel the show in your gut--it was most definitely a LIVE experience (I couldn't regain the excitement from watching a vid of it). it was like Regiment had RETURNED. The REAL Phantom Regiment. That looked and sounded like the original. That moved and played with this confident swagger we'd all missed.

I personally like 2004 better than 2003...so I can't agree with your opinion on that. I believe it was a much more fully achieved program with a better hornline overall and more talent across all sections. To each his or her own, I guess.

As an alumnus, though, I can't tell you how proud I was of the corps when I saw them that year. They could play out of tune or messy or have dirty visual and I didn't even care. That particular rush has never left me. It was like seeing history rise up and become flesh again. Big, bad-###, and in your face.

I don't think I'm exaggerating, either.

Edited by festive

Not everyone likes the same things, or likes them at the same time. If you've watched/listened to it, and don't like it, don't watch/listen to it for a while. Go away and come back to it. Some shows that I don't find appealing at first turn out to be favorites...

I felt that way about The Cadets 2006. Saw the show live, and I really didn't like it. After watching it a couple times on the Finals DVD, I've discovered it isn't all that bad. It's not a favorite, but I do like the music.