all former madison scouts

I find it interesting how many alumni have come out of thin air this year. Where were all of you "brothers" when my son was marching in the Scouts? He aged out last year. Marched drum corps for 5 years. There were only a handful of alumni to be found during his tenure!! Funny how you are being so supportive now! :wub:

I was there. I'm a late 70s/early 80s alum and I've paid alumni dues every year since I aged out. And I know that there is a solid core of alums who have supported the corps year in and year out.

Last year in particular, the MSARP generated something like 20-30K for the corps. About 14K from the finals week performance, plus half the DVD sales, plus we all paid alumni dues (at least 11K right there). If you didn't notice us, then my question would be where the heck were you?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there. I also paid my alumni dues and was a supporter of the corps. I have been since becoming a member in 1997. I will be honest and say that over the past few years I have had a hard time going around and talking to a lot of people because I was busy getting my masters degree and getting married, but I was there, as tons of us were.

Bingo!!!

:wub:

2. Many Alumni did not feel welcome at camps & practice by the last Scout regime...

The fact that so many alumni are now active with the Scouts again gives you an indication that change was needed...& is a positive.

I hate to correct a professor (not really...lol), but all of the DVD sales go to the Scouts..not half.

Sorry Vince

I was there. I'm a late 70s/early 80s alum and I've paid alumni dues every year since I aged out. And I know that there is a solid core of alums who have supported the corps year in and year out.

Last year in particular, the MSARP generated something like 20-30K for the corps. About 14K from the finals week performance, plus half the DVD sales, plus we all paid alumni dues (at least 11K right there). If you didn't notice us, then my question would be where the heck were you?

nice/ notice this person is not responding anymore/ i wonder if they whoever they are have paid there dues

Bingo!!!

:wub:

The Alumni Corps idea was floating around for some time before it finally came off. Part of the reason for this was resistance from MDBCA. And this was indicative of the general attitude towards alumni in Madison, that they were there to provide money and nothing else. The MSARP provided us with a chance to really feel like part of the group again, a group that was a formative experience to all of us. And has been pointed out, we generated tens of thousands of dollars for the current organization, while costing it NOTHING.

It is truly a shame that the Alumni-current marcher connection hasnt always been good, but I think its clear the current new regime plus the board members who came from MSARP signifies a step in a positive direction.

CowboyKen I cant tell from your post if you are an alumnus or not but you are clearly speaking as a parent so your perspective is different. I assume by your words that you are an ardent supporter with money and time of the organizations you have been a part of.

Edited by Scerpella

I was there for finals this year. It seemed like a great college town. It's still pretty far and way too expensive, and no offense to all you Wisconsin grads out there but Rice is a much better school, so I'll stay here.

Well I live in Houston and I can say that Rice university is one of the very very few good things this city has to offer. Having said that - I went to a DCI show at Rice stadium two years ago and it is really a dump. You could smell the mens room urinals from the stands. Just gross. Fortunately the Houston show has moved to a better facility.

• 3 weeks later...
could you guys help your corps this yr and pay your 50 bucks/ and anybody else out there who would like to help a bunch of great kids who are going to blow you away this yr it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jason

baritone

jr-82,83

sr-84,85,86,87,88,89

alumni corps-06

believer-07

I paid, I paid.

I don't think I can make it to camp this weekend though. My weekend to be dad.

I'll be there this weekend!!

Dues? I think I paid. Aw what the heck, even if I did, I can pay again.

Regarding the newly invigorated communication with alumni, I've received more information about what is going on this year than what I received total in the last 20 years. And that effort motivates me to help out the current corps, in return.

I'll be there this weekend!!

Dues? I think I paid. Aw what the heck, even if I did, I can pay again.

Regarding the newly invigorated communication with alumni, I've received more information about what is going on this year than what I received total in the last 20 years. And that effort motivates me to help out the current corps, in return.

I will be there Saturday and Sunday doing whatever needs to be done for the guys!

MYNWA

Brent Turner

87-89 Madison Scout Member

90-92 & 94-96 Madison Scout Instructor

97-2000 Capital Sound Staff

2001-2007 Minnesota Brass

Edited by Brent