Barefoot Guards

EOP279

Outdoors there are just too many elements to possibly have equipment hit your feet or you to step on something: wind, rain, cold, football player's drool, game stuff like spikes. Not that it's always there but I come from the corps mentality that what good is a marching member when they are of the field due to an injury caused by being barefoot?

I DO look for shoes that form fit the foot. There are so many choices now with footwear that your members' feet should not be bare. Capizio has a new shoe called a 'Dance Sleeker' that is very cool and taylored to the foot.

My suggestion is to go to a dance supply shop online or in your area and just look for something that you and your band director can agree on.

Edited by MHSmirage

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you're crazy for wanting your kids to wear shoes outdoors. Me being from the Pacific Northwest, I wouldn't ever consider having them going barefoot during fall season.

Now, during winter season, it's a toss-up. I like that you can see their toes being pointed when they're barefoot. But, I don't like them walking outside barefoot after pulling the floor out of the gym, and during warm-up. Also, I know a lot of schools won't allow their performers to wear the same shoes outside as they do during performances.

To me, the performers health comes first, then the show second.

I was in the Royal Guardsmen when we went barefoot in 1986. Years later when I marched Senior Corps with the Brigadiers and we were fortunate enough to have really good practice sites (often turf) and I would sometimes practice barefoot. It does wonders for your tan lines LOL. I did screw up my feet however (sprained ankle, heel spur, etc) but it felt pretty #### good to not have shoes on!

Would I recommend it? probably not. Plus its such a hassle in WG with leaving the shoes somewhere, going outside to fold the floor, etc.

Shoes. Indoors and outdoors. Period.

It seems to me that, handling equipment like guards do these days, footwear is a must. Footwear protects the feet from severe injury and, I really think, helps to promote and perfect good dance technique.

Also, shoes keep the feet from "landing" injuries from leaps and landings.

I cannot imagine performing without shoes! Must be the old fogey in me.

Only once have I ever been barefoot outdoors... DCA season of 96. There is no way that you could do barefoot with marching band here in PA. The weather here is too sporadic.

With indoor, it's been barefoot for as long as I can remember.

I was in the Royal Guardsmen when we went barefoot in 1986. Years later when I marched Senior Corps with the Brigadiers and we were fortunate enough to have really good practice sites (often turf) and I would sometimes practice barefoot. It does wonders for your tan lines LOL. I did screw up my feet however (sprained ankle, heel spur, etc) but it felt pretty #### good to not have shoes on!

Would I recommend it? probably not. Plus its such a hassle in WG with leaving the shoes somewhere, going outside to fold the floor, etc.

I'll never forget when Guardsmen went barefoot when NOBODY else was! That was seriously the talk of colorguard! lol...... Everybody thought you guys were crazy! And look at us all now......lol......

I agree on Shoes Outside for sure. Indoor we've done it both ways with and without. Right now we're doing without. Its only a problem when you have to go outside to fold floors but if you have a bag with flip flops handy its not as bad......

shoes outside = you bet, no brainer

shoes inside = maybe, bare feet for the performance saves the kids the cost of shoes but they all wear something on their feet til their floor is set

I just keep thinking about, oh say 20 years from now, when these kids are older and can't walk because of foot problems!

:o

Edited by lnavis

I just keep thinking about, oh say 20 years from now, when these kids are old and can't walk because of foot problems!

:o

nodsnodsnodsnodsnodsnodsnodsnods