DCP Introductions

Hi all, my name is Daniel Kruijt.

I'm from Hilversum, the Netherlands. I'm 16 years young and doing drum corps for my 9th year in a row.

I started when I was 8 learning the basics of drumming on a table with Jong Beatrix, which is the Beatrix' Cadet Corps.

The year after being a student, I was asked for top bass, which I played in 2000 and 2001. 2001 was the year when a really was getting into drumcorps. I was 10/11. I looked up at the tenors all the time and that was what I want to play. Because bassdrum in that corps wasn't really about technique I went to the snares for some more rudimental knowledge. I did that in 2002. After that I finally came in the Jong Beatrix tenorline, where I marched for 3 years, 2003, 2004 and 2005. In my last year I was also the drumsergeant.

In between I also marched one year of winterguard, which started out as a joke. We got 5 guys together from the corps to do one season of winterguard. And at the actual Regional where we joined (we did the last half of the season) we scored 10 points more than at a contest 2 weeks earlier, which was for that time a great jump in points.

After my career at Jong Beatrix I moved on to Beatrix', where I also played the tenors. After a few months I was already asked to teach the Jong Beatrix tenorline, which I did with all the pleasure too, I also teached students on the same table as where I started 8 years ago, all in 2006.

This season I again want to play tenors but my back and knees gave up, it is a very heavy instrument and playing it since the age of 12 when I still was in full growth, didn't do much good. So now I'm on trumpet with Beatrix' Drum and Bugle Corps, which I actually like better (SSHHH!). I quit teaching the Jong Beatrix tenorline because I didn't have the time. I now work a lot to save money for the Beatrix USA tour in 2008. I do still teach the students on the table every friday, and I hope maybe someday you'll see the perform in your country.

Daniel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, my name is Dr. Evil.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy - the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I feel like I've given enough info on my signature. I don't want to go any further

because I'm still in hiding from a female stalker that I met in 2003. Thank God I

haven't heard from her since 04, but why push my luck?!

Other than that, I think this thread is a good idea. :)

Jeff, how many times do we have to go over this? I was NOT stalking you! GEEZ!!

:diva:

Okay.. all kidding aside.

I was born a long time ago. I don't mind saying when but I don't like seeing it in print because it reminds me how old I am. I'm old, let's leave it at that.

I joined band in high school and marched for 3 1/2 years and loved it. Was introduced to drum corps by my band director and never looked back. I started volunteering when I was 15 and was asked to join the board of directors for the (then fledgeling) Arizona Sun Youth Foundation.. after moving to San Diego, I got involved in drum corps there.. joining the San Diego Drum and Bugle Corps Association as a board member and getting Earthquake started.. then starting West Coast Sound with some friends from SDDBCA.

I didn't actually get to march drum corps until I was in my 30s. Three years of that was enough for me.. I like volunteering a lot better (or maybe it was just my choice of corps that was enough after three years?)!! :)

Gosh.. as a sentient adult, I've lived in Scottsdale and Phoenix, AZ, Oceanside and San Diego, CA and Oak Park, IL (where I currently reside with my two cats, Mraz and 'Soos -- that's short for Jesus de Maria Martinez Mercedes Juarez Jones.. and now you know why we call her 'Soos).

I've been dating the same wonderful man for more than 2 1/2 years. Some of you may know him.. he goes by the name of uncle z.

I still volunteer with drum corps -- though not as a board member anymore (thank goodness!).

I also cook, read, sew, write, knit, run and sing opera.

Oh yeah.. and I recently became a costume designer for professional theater productions (and purely by chance). Who knew?

That's it.

Stef

Eh, I'll bite.

My name is Samuel Charles Ehrlich. I was born on July 31, 1988, in Bridgewater, NJ, and moved to West Hills, CA in August, 1999. I marched in my high school (El Camino Real) band for three years (two on flugelhorn, one on trumpet) before deciding to pursue other opportunities this year (my senior year) (plus, I wanted to get away from my &(*(& band director).

I will be attending UMass Amherst starting this fall, majoring in Sports Management and Journalism (double major), and marching in their band, the "Power and Class" (on either on trumpet or mellophone). I also plan to audition for the Cadets and/or the Boston Crusaders in 2008, and whichever I make, I will stay with until I age-out in 2011 (unless I miraculously get enough money to age-out with Santa Clara).

I was introduced to drum corps by being shown a video of 2002 Cavaliers (LOVE that show) at a band party my freshman year. I then attended Pacific Crest workshops in 2003 and 2004 before deciding to actually march in 2005 with Mystikal (they were a lot closer). Unfortunately, my parents wouldn't let me march that year, but they did let me in 2006, where I had the best summer of my life.

I tried out for the Santa Clara Vanguard the November, but now will be marching my second year with Mystikal, since I unfortunately didn't make it in Santa Clara. I do, however, hope to march with the Vanguard before I age out, but that may not be possible due to the ~3000 mile difference. :(

My passions are drum corps (duh), baseball ('specially the Red Sox), and writing. My life's goal is to someday work for the Red Sox front office, and/or become a baseball writer.

Ok, I'm done. PM me for more if you're interested.

Edited by crashhelmi36

Jeff, how many times do we have to go over this? I was NOT stalking you! GEEZ!!

Well jeez Stef - you kept following me around, pestering me to buy

you drinks...what was I supposed to think? And by the way, how many

Kamakazees does it take to get you drunk anyway? :P

Jeez...no one cares...but it's good for me to remember some of these highlights...

My name is Ryan H. Turner, born to goodly parents in Pasadena, California, April 26, 1966, at approximately 15:46hrs on warm, spring afternoon. At approximately 15:47hrs, the doctor said something was wrong with my blood, sent it in for testing, and saw lots of "VK" chromosomes. Shrugged his shoulders, handed me off to my parents, and off I went.

Grew up in Pasadena, started playing string bass in 4th grade because my dad was a professional musician from the big band days and...well...lookee there, there was an upright honest-to-goodness string bass in my house. Gave that up in 5th grade when chicks wouldn't go out with me, so I took up the trombone. Became mildly proficient at it, chicks still didn't dig me, and so my life as a musician began.

I became proficient enough in trombone that by the time 9th grade came along, my sights were set on being a band director, and my life in the marching/pageantry world was becoming cemented. Little did I know 5 short years later, the latent "VK" choromosome defect in my blood would become an issue.

Joined the Velvet Knights in 1984, played contra, as by that time in musician career, I was proficient at all low brass. And then, in probably what is regarded as the SINGLE DUMBEST MOVE I ever did (besides selling my 1970 Dodge Challenger with centerlines and a great paintjob)--I put away my contra at the Memorial Day Camp and walked away from destiny. Because I was--in a word--a punk ### #####.

Luckily, the Gods of Drum Corps simply smiled and as destiny would have it, I came back to the corps. Upper lead baritone. 2nd chair. Had the duet with fellow funny man Ron Zeilinger in the closer in 1985, and 22 years later, we're still very good friends. Became the drum major in 1986, returned to age out in 1987, and as they say...the rest is history.

I've had a lot of accomplishments in the drum corps/marching band/winter guard world, and some of the worst failures as well. Made some friends, alienated others, and I just keep on trying.

I'm a big fan of the activity, even though I literally walked away from it in the mid 90's. But that "VK" chromosome thing...well...I just can't walk away.

Craig Sterling Moyer, DOB 8-23-63 Born and raised just outside of Wilmington Delaware.

Lived in the same house all my life except 2 months with my first wife in an aprtmant beforewe moved back home and 7 months in Norfolk Va with my new family.

My music career is highlighted by my HS band which was pretty good, Go McKean Highlanders, We never finished lower then 3rd 23 years running. Now they suck.

I marched Crossmen in 84. I thought I was really doing something until I found out later they didn't make finals the year before. I am proud of what we did that year.

My personal life, I married with 2 girls 21 & 15 and a son 20. I'm going to be a granfather soon. ^OO^ ^OO^ I've been a volunteer firefighter with the Belvedere Fire company for 27 years. Proud the say we're the only all black fire company in the state. (we are looking for a few good white people) We're the smallest company in the state but the only company to respond to MD, NJ and PA. ve held every elected office and fire line office except Chief.

My name is irrelevant. Those who know me know me. Just call me "Mr. Pig."

I was born 5/10/1990. I am a junior in high school. My mom was a music major at James Madison University, and after teaching chorus and band for a few years became a Pre-k teacher. My dad went to Chowan College(now a university), and works at a pulp and paper mill.

I began playing saxophone in 5th grade. I've been involved in my schools jazz band as lead alto, and in winter drumline(bass, snare, and now marimba). I'm currently in my second year of music theory, and have composed several short choral pieces under the tutelage of my church choir director, who is a retired composer. I marched saxophone for my high school for my 8th, 9th, and 10th grade years. This past season I played baritone. I began playing baritone in September of 2005. I learned what drum corps was when I went to see a friend marching Crossmen at a show in Chesapeake, Va, on June 29, 2005. I was immediately hooked and wanted to play a brass instrument so I could march corps, so I began learning baritone. I was going to march with a startup Div III named Hypnotix, but they folded last April. So I found a spot with Memphis Sound and marched there in 2006, and had a great summer. I tried out for a top 12 Div I this season, but decided before the last audition camp to go back to Memphis for 2007. I think I had a really good shot at making the corps, but I just didn't care for the atmosphere.

I practice euphonium regularly, and recently made second chair at all district and was eligible for all-state after playing for a year and a half, but due to conflicts I was unable to audition for all state. Oh well, I still have one more year in high school.

I plan on double majoring in music ed. and euphonium performance. After getting a degree, I may audition for a military band and play there for a time before beginning to teach.

I like food, tv, girls, listening to music, my car, history, and hanging out with friends.

aim: two percent god

e-mail: philipwing(at)gmail(dot)com

Oh, and I'm also desperately seeking sponsorships for the 2007 season. Any amount is appreciated. :)