Tour Secretes

Ladies, don't wash your hair everyday, it dries it out and damages it.

Not true. For people like me who have oily hair, the sweat every day makes it worse. I had to wash my hair every day on tour, where as in real life, I can't wash it every day because of it drying out.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Guys!

Double and triple knot your shorts :)

Be 15 minutes early to every block. Better than being late and having to run a lot, or worse, make the rest of the hornline to run a lot. Plus it gives you an opportunity to hack out licks, especially since you're not allowed to hack after shows in the lot anymore.

Be careful on free/laundry days with what you eat, especially soda. Yes, hitting the all-you-can-eat chinese buffet and drinking a bucket of soda might be incredibly satisfying, but you will probably be cursing it the next day in rehearsal. And while on the subject of free days, don't let the staff bring up freeday-head the next day, show them that you deserved a free day.

Bring more socks than you need, bring less shirts than you need. If you're short on shirts, you can always just bring one into the shower and let it dry in the gym.

Body wash > soap in the shower. On show days, take a shower first before eating dinner (figured this one out pretty late in the season). Oh yeah, and when time gets short, don't be afraid to double up :)

In addition to sweats on the bus, bring ear plugs. Your bus driver might like singing country music in the middle of the night to stay awake (when he does happen to be awake).

Something that pretty much saved a hard spring training from being a hellish spring training last season was get in shape BEFORE moving in. Running made me out of breath after reps rather than dying after reps, and holding up the horn with ankle weights kept me from having too many arm problems.

Oh yeah, and if you don't know something, ASK A VET.

Good morning:

Back in '99, I re-wrote the following for my daughter on tour with SCV:

Ladies and gentlemen of the corps' of '07:

Wear sunscreen.

[

But trust me on the sunscreen.

Love the song/article, LOVE your take on it! :wub:

Protein bars are good during Spring Training right before lights out.

32 grams of protein for the first 3 weeks, and you'll notice that you'll have so much more endurance and strength than the rest who don't eat high protein.

Great for Baritone players,

I've been eating them during Spring Training a lot and I really see a difference. (Add with Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich for extra protein) Try to eat as much meat as possible.

Remember when eating a high protein diet you really need to consume a lot of water!

AMEN! I bought a dozen or so for everydays my 2nd year. soooooo much difference from the first.

Don't bring an air mattress. They're annoying listening to someone blow up when I'm trying to fall asleep and they take up too much space.

Bring your own personal roll of toilet paper. It'll save your ###. Literally.

Texas just isn't that big of a deal. No matter what people from Texas tell you. Trust me, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Oklahoma are wayyyyy worse. In 2002, Michigan was hotter than it was in Texas.

Take time to browse the souvie area at shows, but esspecially at big regionals. It's fun!

DCT will save your life.

Put your shampoo/bodywash in old 20oz plastic water bottles with screwtop caps. Less likely for an un-fun surprise!

Never, ever complain about what is cooked for you. Everyone will think you're a tool. If you don't like it, get a PB&J. And on this subject, the cook crew works harder than you do. Go out of your way to help them.

Tour spread is funny until you are constantly asking people where your stuff is. Nobody cares where your stuff is.

Wear a hat.

Get your stuff out to the bus on time unless you like sitting with all your stuff.

Don't bring a watch. The drum major is your watch.

Don't feel like you need to bring a lot of money. I've known people that went an entire tour with $50 and had a great time.

Send letters.

Make sure you bring your common sense.

Ziplock bags can be a lifesaver.

Get yourself on a routine for eat/shower/pack/load. Do the same things at the same time everyday and you will never be late.

Take a nap after lunch. It' the greatest.

Do what your staff tells you. They've been there, done that, and gotten the t-shirt. They know more than you. I don't care if you are a rook-out music major. They are here to make you better. The same goes for your Drum Major.

Have fun. Take time to appreciate this for what it is.

Don't worry about scores and placements. 20 years from now, you wont remember who beat who in Pigsknuckle, Arkansas but you will remember the people, the laughter and the tears.

Take a nap after lunch. It' the greatest.

ONLY IF YOU WAKE UP ON TIME!!!

one time we got up early to have a meeting before breakfast, and then I was like "oh, we have an hour till block" so I laid back down...

next thing I know I woke up and there were less than 10 minutes until block. Not good.

Don't complain about things. Seriously. It is not only hot outside for you.

Don't get sick and then spread it to the whole corps.

Have fun.

Edited by soccerguy315