Not one DCI show in Florida or Louisiana this year.....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About Canada... I would think border crossings would be a real nightmare for a drum corps after 9/11.

As long as your paper work is in order......what's the problem ? :(

I have heard of NO Canadian corps having any trouble at the border, going either way. :whistle:

Some do start earlier, Last year I was in the hospital about to give birth during "Tropical Storm" Alberto (which ended up being a bad storm :whistle: ) on a Monday the week of June 12th. I remember going to finals in Denver a couple of years ago witnessing the most beautiful forms of mother nature and then a week later coming home and Hurricane "Charlie" ( not a tropical storm by any means)unleashed his devestation upon us, followed by, Frances, Ivan, and Jean. My husband and I thought, "If finals were here this week...."

I lived through Hurricanes living in Central Florida. We thought they wouldn't make it inland either. We were wrong.

Yeah they do make it inland but you're not going to get the same effect that you would get living on the coast. And the year with Charlie, Frances, Ivan and Jean was just a really bad year in general. If I remember correctly, last year was pretty docile.

I mean, I've lived here for 21 years (Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Tallahassee) and never had a huge problem with the hurricanes, but I've never really lived on the "coast" (unless you count Jacksonville). I know my friends from Boca and Miami and Ft. Lauderdale would sing a different tune.....

The worst thing you get with hurricanes inland, from my experience, is the torrential rainfall, which could cause flooding, or the possibility of tornadoes, but the most destructive force, the winds, usually are pretty toned down by the time the hurricane gets to the central part of the state.

Yeah they do make it inland but you're not going to get the same effect that you would get living on the coast. And the year with Charlie, Frances, Ivan and Jean was just a really bad year in general. If I remember correctly, last year was pretty docile.

I mean, I've lived here for 21 years (Jacksonville, Gainesville, and Tallahassee) and never had a huge problem with the hurricanes, but I've never really lived on the "coast" (unless you count Jacksonville). I know my friends from Boca and Miami and Ft. Lauderdale would sing a different tune.....

The worst thing you get with hurricanes inland, from my experience, is the torrential rainfall, which could cause flooding, or the possibility of tornadoes, but the most destructive force, the winds, usually are pretty toned down by the time the hurricane gets to the central part of the state.

Arguing about the differences in the effects from a hurricane on the Coastline and inland Florida is pointless. You have to figure that all it would take is an approaching hurricane to possibly CANCEL the entire week of championships. What if a Charlie, Andrew, or Katrina was a few days off the Florida coast? Do you think that anyone would dare speculate as to how it would effect inland FL versus the coastline? No. Mass evacuations on the coast would begin, making travel in the state, or the entire region for that matter, impossible. What drum corps would dare take busloads of kids, kids that they are ultimately responsible for, into a state with a hurricane looming off the coast? And what about all the travel plans of thousands of DCI fans?

Arguing about the differences in the effects from a hurricane on the Coastline and inland Florida is pointless. You have to figure that all it would take is an approaching hurricane to possibly CANCEL the entire week of championships. What if a Charlie, Andrew, or Katrina was a few days off the Florida coast? Do you think that anyone would dare speculate as to how it would effect inland FL versus the coastline? No. Mass evacuations on the coast would begin, making travel in the state, or the entire region for that matter, impossible. What drum corps would dare take busloads of kids, kids that they are ultimately responsible for, into a state with a hurricane looming off the coast? And what about all the travel plans of thousands of DCI fans?

I'm simply pointing out that unless the corps is rehearsing and performing along the coastline somewhere, it's likely that the worst that would happen is that they would be rehearsing inside for a day or two, which could happen anywhere given a severe thunderstorm. It happened a lot to my corps at move-in last year, where we'd have rain for 2-3 days and have to be inside.

I'm not saying they should hold championships here, but having an early-season show in Florida would pose very little risk.

I'm simply pointing out that unless the corps is rehearsing and performing along the coastline somewhere, it's likely that the worst that would happen is that they would be rehearsing inside for a day or two, which could happen anywhere given a severe thunderstorm. It happened a lot to my corps at move-in last year, where we'd have rain for 2-3 days and have to be inside.

I'm not saying they should hold championships here, but having an early-season show in Florida would pose very little risk.

Ahh...my apologies. Even though I posted in this thread earlier, I had forgotten it was a discussion about the lack of a local show in the state...not championships.

Honestly, I hated the FL tour. But, ever since I began my drum corps career in the early 80s, I can't rememer a year without one show. And now Alabama, who used to have four or five shows now has two. If it wasn't for Spirit being located here, we might suffer the same fate.

Ahh...my apologies. Even though I posted in this thread earlier, I had forgotten it was a discussion about the lack of a local show in the state...not championships.

Honestly, I hated the FL tour. But, ever since I began my drum corps career in the early 80s, I can't rememer a year without one show. And now Alabama, who used to have four or five shows now has two. If it wasn't for Spirit being located here, we might suffer the same fate.

The weird thing about it is that the lack of shows isn't even related to the weather, it's about how hard it is to get housing in Orlando due to logistics and liability and things (someone posted an explanation about that earlier in this thread)...I think Jacksonville would be a good place to have a show, personally, but that might be too close to Atlanta, and that only realistically leaves Tampa, unless there were to be a smaller show in Gainesville or Tallahassee....anywhere south or the Orlando/Tampa area is probably too far, although I would guess that it would draw good crowds due to there being a lot of large and successful band programs down south.

It seems like there are just less and less shows in general, but I know that's not completely DCI's fault, either. I've heard a lot of show sponsors are really sensitive about having shows scheduled close to their show, afraid that they'll lose out on ticket sales and whatnot. I think that they try not to schedule shows any closer than 300-400 miles, but don't quote me on that one. The sad part is that the show sponsor may make more money on ticket sales by doing that, but a lot of fans can get left out of the loop when faced with having to travel (gas prices, anyone?) as well as pay for a hotel and food plus the tickets and merch to support their favorite corps....it gets expensive.

As long as your paper work is in order......what's the problem ? :(

I have heard of NO Canadian corps having any trouble at the border, going either way. :ph34r:

Taking 1 or 2 people through customs- no problem. Taking about 175, plus vehicles= big delays.

Okay, I'm not trying to argue with you, but since you haven't been directly hit yet by one, please don't try to tell me what may happen on the inland, I'm just gonna show you an example of what Charely did. Just because Central Florida doesn't get the same media coverage as the coast doesn't mean we didn't get a Category 2/3 Hurricane come through. I was there living through it. I hope you don't ever have to go through it.

Talk to my brother in law who had to remodel his entire house cause a tree smashed his roof in and the damage it has caused others whom were hit hard by it. We had to redo our roof and fence and lost part of our tree. I watched things flying over our roof. And Jeane? She was a 24 hour storm that was relentless and very scary. So please don't try to minimize it because you haven't been through. It's caused us to relocate.

I hope nobody has to go through this..And I was just trying to bring up the fact that maybe DCI doesn't want to chance it either.

Charley014.jpg

Here is my brothe in laws house..

RoysHouse-Charley2004.jpg

Edited by Lancerlady

I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida (for 18 years now... my entire life). We rarely are directly hit by hurricanes. I know that south of Sarasota got his pretty bad in '04 and Pensecola has taken some hits before. I've heard that the reason DCI doesn't come down here anymore is not because of potential hurricanes, but because of traveling issues. A friend of mine said how coming into Florida is out of the way. For the most part, hurricane activity doesn't reach its height until September. The four devastating hurricanes of 2004 would be an exception to that rule.

I do understand why DCI would be wary of scheduling shows down here because of the last few hurricane seasons. However, I would like to see them come to at least the Tallahassee area. If they do in the next few years, I'd be very happy. :) If not, I will continue to go to the nearest shows. I'm glad that I can at least go to a big regional like Atlanta. If I only get to see one show this summer, I'm glad I'll be seeing around 20 corps. B)