Boston's Closer!

Once again, Boston has chosen to play a watered down version of a drum corps classic, La Fiesta. Don't get me wrong, it's not the kid's fault. Will this corps ever find it's own identity? Flame away! Any input 84BDSop?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you know it's watered down? have you heard them play it yet? how do you know it won't be the best version of la fiesta ever?

Remember when they played "Overture to Candide," "Malaguena", or "Simple Gifts?" Enough said. Go back and listen to '84 BD.

Remember when they played "La Fiest... oh wait, they haven't done the #### show yet. Will it be as good at 84 BD? probably not, but that doesn't mean ####, it can still kick ###, they can still kick ###. Fact is you are dismissing this show based on the fact that they are playing a song people have played before and done it well, so of course they can't be good because they aren't a top corps. This logic is specious at best.

Once again, Boston has chosen to play a watered down version of a drum corps classic, La Fiesta. Don't get me wrong, it's not the kid's fault. Will this corps ever find it's own identity? Flame away! Any input 84BDSop?

Nope....haven't heard it....every corps puts their own stamp on it. If I was to get indignant about it, I'd also do so for CorpsVets, who are playing Bacchanalia AND La Fiesta! in fact, the brass book for Bacchanalia sounds a LOT like what we played. I would've arranged it closer to the original, myself...

I happen to think i played the definitive corps version, but I'm certain there were people thinking we were nothing compared to prior versions (75 Muchachos. specifically). That's the problem with playing a chart so identified with a specific corps...you;re always fighting that glorious memory or the recording you've been listening to for 20+ years....a tough ting to do...ask 05 Vanguard re RCM.

I'll have to reserve judgment until I hear it...probably at Quarterfinals unless a bootleg turns up at some point in the season.

What I would LOVE to hear Boston play at finals is a full version of Conquest....THAT would make the crowd heard in San Bernardino!! (about an hour away from the Rose Bowl)

Remember when they played "La Fiest... oh wait, they haven't done the #### show yet. Will it be as good at 84 BD? probably not, but that doesn't mean ####, it can still kick ###, they can still kick ###. Fact is you are dismissing this show based on the fact that they are playing a song people have played before and done it well, so of course they can't be good because they aren't a top corps. This logic is specious at best.

When you hear them this summer if you are able, remember two words...water hose.

Find its own identity? Boston has had its own identity since 1940, sir. I think as far as identity is concerned, the corps members and the staff both have an incredibly strong idea on the image the corps establishes for itself. Latin music is a very #### good representation of Boston's aggressive and masculine approach to performance as a corps, and obviously the corps has had it's moments with it. I'm really actually appalled as an alumni of the Suncoast Sound (the group a good chunk of the BAC staff marched) would make such an uninformed and presumptuous statement. How do you know anything about the arrangement of La Fiesta, how it's going to sound and will be approached by the design team, it hasn't even been written yet!!!

As far as La Fiesta is concerned, what is the problem with Boston playing it anyway. To be honest, no one in the top 12 has really played it since BD in 1984, and at that was over 20 years ago!! People on this board expect the Madison Scouts to play Malaga and Malaguena every frig year and they're hunky dory, but Boston pulls out a tune that really hasn't been played in the top Div. 1 circuit in a very long time, and they get flamed. Of course you are totally entitled to your opinion, but can we at least have the decency to WAIT and see what the corps is going to do before we completely bash what the design team is trying to do for you people. Yes, YOU. Every step the design team at Boston makes, especially this year (definitely opposed to last year), the staff is thinking about audience reaction and making sure the crowd is entertained while giving a worthwhile product to the judges. You know, to all you people who incessantly complain on here about corps not thinking about the audience, well here's Boston trying to give everything they can back and they get bashed. But whatever, what can you do really.