PHANTOM 1990

Actually, Johnny One Note covered 2 corps. The Bluecoats played it in 89 as well. But I'm sure everyone remembers that.

Yes, I do. I actually like the Bluecoats version much better!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me for my ignorance......first time i heard PR 1990 is tonight while doing some homework.....

about half way through the show.......

I heard excerpts from Phantom of the Opera (scv 89), City of angels ?(Madison 89?), New World (PR 89)

Am I losing my mind?

Did they really take a bunch of excerts from different shows and put them into the 1990 show? Wow.

If so, please tell me what other ones I am missing.

If I am wrong, please correct me!

Thanks

Thanks for bringing this up! I never heard of this or noticed that section before!

I think there is a clip from the beginning of Festive Overture (a la SCV 1985 and 1986). Listen to the fanfare-ish part right before the Phantom of the Opera and Slaughter on 5th Avenue quotes. It happens at 4:14 on my 1990 CD. It's not exact, but I'm pretty sure it's a Festive Overture reference.

I'm still trying to find Johnny One Note...

I think there is a clip from the beginning of Festive Overture (a la SCV 1985 and 1986). Listen to the fanfare-ish part right before the Phantom of the Opera and Slaughter on 5th Avenue quotes. It happens at 4:14 on my 1990 CD. It's not exact, but I'm pretty sure it's a Festive Overture reference.

Thats actual Carnival of the Animals music there your thinking of .... Festive has triplets in it ....

I even dug out my recording of Carnival of the Animals just to make sure I wasnt nuts before I posted LOL

Thats actual Carnival of the Animals music there your thinking of .... Festive has triplets in it ....

I even dug out my recording of Carnival of the Animals just to make sure I wasnt nuts before I posted LOL

No. I'm definitely talking about Festive Overture, but I'm not talking about the introductory fanfare or any passage with triplets. If you have the Collector's Series CDs, check SCV 1985 at 4:13 or SCV 1986 at 3:56.

I admit I'm not familiar with the original version of Carnival of the Animals, so I'm not insisting that the passage we're discussing is NOT CotA. I'm just saying that it sounds similar to Festive Overture. To me anyway! :blink:

The "Jonny One-Note" quote is very clever, because they pair it with the ascending four note theme from the New World Symphony, where it almost totally fits. It's a very PDQ Bach-Quodlibet type of arrangement, and something I wish there were more of in corps.

Wow. I feel dumb here. I hear the New World quote, but I'm not catching Johnny One Note. Could you please be more specific about the quote? Ie, what voice is playing it; is it right before, right after, or during the New World quote? I've heard the BD show many times, so I am familiar with the tune. Thanks in advance.

Ahem. It's immediately after the New World ascending four notes, and the sops (I think) play a chord, while the Middle voices (I think) play the "Sing, Johnny One-Note" theme. If you will, the Dvorak is E-G-B-E, then instead of the descending G-E-C-B-E, you get the D-B-G-F-D of "Sing, Johnny One-Note." Perhaps it is a little hard to hear. But it's there, right before the "Do You Hear the People Sing" tag from Les Miserables and the Cavies' four-note ending.

Is it in teh sustained note at the end of teh POTO bit and before the cymbal run prior to Slaughter??

Yeah, it's one right after the other...descending Phantom of the Opera notes, then in the sustained note, what sounds like the mellos quote 'we're off to see the wizard'...then Slaughter. If you don't listen carefully, it might just sound like a little mello fanfare.

Yeah, it's one right after the other...descending Phantom of the Opera notes, then in the sustained note, what sounds like the mellos quote 'we're off to see the wizard'...then Slaughter. If you don't listen carefully, it might just sound like a little mello fanfare.

Holy crap!!! Thanks!

Amazing what you hear after almost 20 years! I DID think it was a simple mello fanfare!