Types of Shoes

any good suggestions for someone with flat feet?

It's been said already, but Brooks are fantastic, especially for flat feet.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted a rather lengthy article regarding footwear in my corp's forum. I'm the local running fanatic, (12 miles a week in winter, 20 summer_) and have tried most brands, types, etc... If anyone wants the whole thing PM me.

A few tips:

-When trying shoes on, wear both, march, jog, do all the movement that you'll be doing all summer. Get a feel for the support, and fit.

-Find out your arch type, this plays a large role in finding shoes that will support you.

-Get two pairs.

-Break them in ASAP

-Don't get the cushiest shoes out there. Marching on pillows might feel good the first day. But soon you'll develop "nike knee". Very painful. The human body has it's own shock absortion mechanisms built in. The shoe should just help the body facilitate those measures, not replace them.

-try to investigate the field you'll most use learning drill, and find a shoe that works good with it.

If you want an example:

I'm a tall (6'2"), thin (140) guy. I have a biomechanically efficient stride, and high arches. I chose two pairs of shoes this summer from adidas (which actually is derived from the founders name ADI DASsler) that have good arch support. The first half of the summer at my corps involves learning drill on asphalt. My first pair thus has more cushion, and will be more forgiving on pavement for 12 hours a day. My second pair primarily for use on tour when we use grass fields are much lighter shoes that skimp on cushioning, but with softer ground, and shorter rehearsals I won't have issues. Each pair has a purpose at different points in the season, and will still be a rainy day backup for the other.

That's the gist of what I have to say. Though take my word only as advice to investigate your own needs. I spend alot of time on my feet, and have found a system that suits my demands. If possible, talk to a trainer, or track coach at a school near you. They can most likely assist you in correctly determining your arch type, and other factors that will help guide you to the best pair of shoes possible. Good luck to all this season. Remember: Happy feet: Happy you

Edited by Phirefenix

I wouldn't neccesarily say go with any certain brand. Go with the cross training/running. Don't skimp on the shoes! Make sure you get a good pair that fits your foor, I run a lot and one thing I have learned is that one shoe may be great for you but terrible for you. I made a bad mistake of getting Nike Shocks last year and they gave me terrible shin splints. Make sure you get a rounded heel (the shocks were square). Also, make sure you bring an older pair for the days it rains, and its never a bad idea to alternate shoes (its better on your feet).

Reef flip flops are number one in my book. They are so comfortable after a whole day of rehearsal. But when it comes to having workout shoes, I recommend Nike cross trainers or New Balance with good insoles as well as heel support. Many (myself included) don't really think about it but your heels really do get a work out especially when you start working on those high toe lifts.

I've also heard that Saucony's are great too...

Don't get a shoe with too much ankle support (especially drummers who spend alot of time crab-stepping), or you'll be toast the first time you march the show in dinkles.

If you have an outdoors store, like REI or Bass Pro Shop, there are some great light weight shoes that are still comfortable. Brands like solomon and ones similar are great in my opinion. I wore them my last two years and only went through one pair each year. There are also mesh type shoes there that are great in the rain since they don't hold near as much water. In my six years those were the best shoes I had.